Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chown: Read-only file system
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chown: Read-only file system Post 302643811 by Scott on Sunday 20th of May 2012 05:24:31 PM
Old 05-20-2012
It's possible that the directory in which the filesystem is mounted has no read or execute permission. Try unmounting the filesystem and checking the permissions.

Otherwise, try remounting the filesystem:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /u01

(customising that command for your system)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read through a file and Pass system commands

Hi, I have a file xyz.txt, which contains several "tar.gz" package names Eg :- Now i need to execute an rpm - ivh against all those packages in this file through a script one by one. I need a script to read through the file "xyz.txt", pick up each package name and execute rpm -ivh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read only file system

Hi, Has any one worked on IPSO operating system. I have a to add a file to /etc directory. When I create a file it comes up with read only file system. Is there any way of adding a file to this directory, without changing the etc directory parameters. Br, Eugene (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene777
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ file system mounts as read only

I have a Netra T1 server running Solaris 8, It was installed by jump start, it does not have a cdrom drive. Recetly it crashed so I rebooted it from >LOM poweron and it came to run level 3, all file systems listed in /etc/vfstab are mounted, but /dev and / root are not writeable though in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

4. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

5. SCO

Read and write into file system from SCO

hi Knows someone what kind of file system uses SCO Unix 5.0.6? Which linux or unix LIVE CD can read and write into file system from SCO Unix? I've tried to boot SCO using Knoppix 6.2.1 LIVE CD, but cannot mount. # mount -t sysv /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios: How to read the Linux system file?

hi 2 all i installed nagios in my linux srvr . check_ftp file is in format of system format . i wants to see the syntax for that script how can i read that file .. ??? please help me ! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
4 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Read-only file system error

My first post :) I deleted all the files within /system/library/startupitems to the trash bin. Now my mac snow leopard won't boot at all. All I got is the gray screen, apple logo and the spinning wheel...just spinning forever. I was able to boot in single-user mode. I'm trying to copy cp command... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: haxum
14 Replies

8. Red Hat

Read only file system : File show as ? ? ? ?

I have a test system, user which I have my home directory. /home/hansini The files under this directory show as ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sam.sh ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? DDD I know on the test system OS is corrupt and it is read only file system. If I go to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system

I have a file on a usb stick which I cannot remove and the following error message shows: rm: cannot remove `file-name': Read-only file system The usb stick is mounted as read-only on an Ubuntu system: $ mount /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro) proc on /proc type proc (rw) none... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting read only propmt when opening /etc/system file

root@atrcx146:/# vi /etc/system "/var/tmp/Exv9a4Rb" Read-only file system Please let me know the reason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marty11
1 Replies
xfs_freeze(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_freeze(8)

NAME
xfs_freeze - suspend access to an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_freeze -f | -u mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_freeze suspends and resumes access to an XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). xfs_freeze halts new access to the filesystem and creates a stable image on disk. xfs_freeze is intended to be used with volume managers and hardware RAID devices that support the creation of snapshots. The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be frozen (see mount(8)). The -f flag requests the specified XFS filesystem to be frozen from new modifications. When this is selected, all ongoing transactions in the filesystem are allowed to complete, new write system calls are halted, other calls which modify the filesystem are halted, and all dirty data, metadata, and log information are written to disk. Any process attempting to write to the frozen filesystem will block waiting for the filesystem to be unfrozen. Note that even after freezing, the on-disk filesystem can contain information on files that are still in the process of unlinking. These files will not be unlinked until the filesystem is unfrozen or a clean mount of the snapshot is complete. The -u flag is used to un-freeze the filesystem and allow operations to continue. Any filesystem modifications that were blocked by the freeze are unblocked and allowed to complete. One of -f or -u must be supplied to xfs_freeze. NOTES
A copy of a frozen XFS filesystem will usually have the same universally unique identifier (UUID) as the original, and thus may be pre- vented from being mounted. The XFS nouuid mount option can be used to circumvent this issue. In Linux kernel version 2.6.29, the interface which XFS uses to freeze and unfreeze was elevated to the VFS, so that this tool can now be used on many other Linux filesystems. SEE ALSO
xfs(5), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_freeze(8)