Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris SYSLOG Help
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris SYSLOG Help Post 302643687 by fjm1502 on Sunday 20th of May 2012 11:01:45 AM
Old 05-20-2012
Thank you so much!!!!!!!! Do I do this on /etc/syslog.conf?? I looked and a part looks like this:
local5.debug /pix/dcpixlog
local4.debug /pix/pixlog
local3.debug /usr/log/cache/cachelog
local2.debug /var/log/ras/raslog
local1.debug /var/log/vpn/vpnlog
!
The local5 is what I added just a few days ago...The local1 and local2 are no longer used. Not sure about local3...local4 is most important that is all existing FW. Supposedly the local5 was for new FW. Do, I comment all above and add what you wrote?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Syslog-ng does not start Solaris 9

I have been installing syslog-ng on our Solaris 9 servers. All ov them are working except two which return the following error: # /etc/init.d/syslog start syslog-ng service starting. Error binding socket; addr='AF_INET(0.0.0.0:514)', error='Address already in use (125)' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: takendal
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 question on syslog.conf file

Hi, I have a question on /etc/syslog.conf file in Solaris 10. Below is a line taken from /etc/syslog.conf file and I know that the last field (operator) is where the logs gets outputted but how do I find out what the output file name format is going to be and which directory it gets outputted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevefox
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Syslog Server

Hi all, I want to implement a Syslog Server but i'm new in this area. I donīt know how to configure it in Solaris. I should like send all the logs to a application(manipule the information, por example: do the alerts, configure it, etc...) How can I do that? or Which manual can help me? Exists... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yflores
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Syslog - solaris 9

HI admins, I am facing an issue with syslog on solaris9. It stopped the logging of messages..I tried all ways to start the syslog--/etc/init.d/syslog start, /usr/sbin/syslogd......etc.... But ps -eaf | grep sys not showing the syslog processes.......... When i start syslog using... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit /etc/syslog.conf (Solaris 10)

Hi, Im editing the file /etc/syslog.conf for Solaris 10 server in production. I need to add "auth and authpriv.": someone set the same? Have been successful? I would appreciate any suggestions. Greetings. The unmodified arhive is: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: musul
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris syslog server and client

Hi folks, I am attempting to setup a Solaris 10 syslog server to receive logs from linux machines. Here's what I did: On the server (SunOS sun226 5.10), IP address: 192.168.212.226: 1. start syslogdby issuing $/usr/sbin/syslogd -T On a client (SunOS sun221 5.8): 1. Configured... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris syslog messages cluttering screen

Well, this kind of silly but I think I am missing something. So we have this Solaris 10 server which acts as syslog server for network devices. Problem is the syslogs clutters whenever I use the screen utility for any work. I am posting the conetent of /etc/syslog.conf # more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syslog in Solaris 11.1

Hi, I have a solaris 11.1 server with many network interfaces (real and virtual), and one is connected to another server. i need that syslog send the info through one specific interface, i know that in the syslog.conf file can write: *.* @xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (remote server IP) but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iocx
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Syslog in Solaris 11.1

Hi, I have a solaris 11.1 server with many network interfaces (real and virtual), and one is connected to another server. i need that syslog send the info through one specific interface, i know that in the syslog.conf file can write: *.* @xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (remote server IP) but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iocx
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How can i send Solaris syslog loging server?

HI how can i send solaris syslog to centralized logging server? i have tried adding like below and got error: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit @172.16.200.50:5000 and the error i got in /var/adm/messages is: Jun 10 13:02:24 aresdb-new.alshaya.com syslogd: line 14:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
10 Replies
SYSLOG(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSLOG(3)

NAME
closelog, openlog, syslog - send messages to the system logger SYNOPSIS
#include <syslog.h> void openlog(const char *ident, int option, int facility); void syslog(int priority, const char *format, ...); void closelog(void); #include <stdarg.h> void vsyslog(int priority, const char *format, va_list ap); DESCRIPTION
closelog() closes the descriptor being used to write to the system logger. The use of closelog() is optional. openlog() opens a connection to the system logger for a program. The string pointed to by ident is prepended to every message, and is typ- ically set to the program name. The option argument specifies flags which control the operation of openlog() and subsequent calls to sys- log(). The facility argument establishes a default to be used if none is specified in subsequent calls to syslog(). Values for option and facility are given below. The use of openlog() is optional; it will automatically be called by syslog() if necessary, in which case ident will default to NULL. syslog() generates a log message, which will be distributed by syslogd(8). The priority argument is formed by ORing the facility and the level values (explained below). The remaining arguments are a format, as in printf(3) and any arguments required by the format, except that the two character sequence %m will be replaced by the error message string strerror(errno). A trailing newline is added when needed. The function vsyslog() performs the same task as syslog() with the difference that it takes a set of arguments which have been obtained using the stdarg(3) variable argument list macros. PARAMETERS
This section lists the parameters used to set the values of option, facility, and priority. option The option argument to openlog() is an OR of any of these: LOG_CONS Write directly to system console if there is an error while sending to system logger. LOG_NDELAY Open the connection immediately (normally, the connection is opened when the first message is logged). LOG_NOWAIT Don't wait for child processes that may have been created while logging the message. (The GNU C library does not create a child process, so this option has no effect on Linux.) LOG_ODELAY The converse of LOG_NDELAY; opening of the connection is delayed until syslog() is called. (This is the default, and need not be specified.) LOG_PERROR (Not in SUSv3.) Print to stderr as well. LOG_PID Include PID with each message. facility The facility argument is used to specify what type of program is logging the message. This lets the configuration file specify that mes- sages from different facilities will be handled differently. LOG_AUTH security/authorization messages (DEPRECATED Use LOG_AUTHPRIV instead) LOG_AUTHPRIV security/authorization messages (private) LOG_CRON clock daemon (cron and at) LOG_DAEMON system daemons without separate facility value LOG_FTP ftp daemon LOG_KERN kernel messages LOG_LOCAL0 through LOG_LOCAL7 reserved for local use LOG_LPR line printer subsystem LOG_MAIL mail subsystem LOG_NEWS USENET news subsystem LOG_SYSLOG messages generated internally by syslogd LOG_USER (default) generic user-level messages LOG_UUCP UUCP subsystem level This determines the importance of the message. The levels are, in order of decreasing importance: LOG_EMERG system is unusable LOG_ALERT action must be taken immediately LOG_CRIT critical conditions LOG_ERR error conditions LOG_WARNING warning conditions LOG_NOTICE normal, but significant, condition LOG_INFO informational message LOG_DEBUG debug-level message The function setlogmask(3) can be used to restrict logging to specified levels only. CONFORMING TO
The functions openlog(), closelog(), and syslog() (but not vsyslog()) are specified in SUSv2 and POSIX 1003.1-2001. POSIX 1003.1-2001 specifies only the LOG_USER and LOG_LOCAL* values for facility. However, with the exception of LOG_AUTHPRIV and LOG_FTP, the other facil- ity values appear on most Unix systems. The LOG_PERROR value for option is not specified by POSIX 1003.1-2001, but is available in most versions of Unix. HISTORY
A syslog function call appeared in BSD 4.2. BSD 4.3 documents openlog(), syslog(), closelog(), and setlogmask(). 4.3BSD-Reno also docu- ments vsyslog(). Of course early v* functions used the <varargs.h> mechanism, which is not compatible with <stdarg.h>. NOTES
The parameter ident in the call of openlog() is probably stored as-is. Thus, if the string it points to is changed, syslog() may start prepending the changed string, and if the string it points to ceases to exist, the results are undefined. Most portable is to use a string constant. Never pass a string with user-supplied data as a format, use syslog("%s", string); instead. SEE ALSO
logger(1), setlogmask(3), syslog.conf(5), syslogd(8) Linux 2002-01-03 SYSLOG(3)