Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable indirection
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable indirection Post 302643637 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 20th of May 2012 06:46:55 AM
Old 05-20-2012
If you try double quotes instead of single quotes, I think it becomes a bit more straight forward, you should then escape the double quotes with a backslash, plus the $-signs that you wish to protect from evaluation during assignment:
Code:
CMD="CNT=\$( grep -c -e \"Non-option program arguments: '$PACKAGE_1'\" -e \"Checking whether to refresh metadata for $REPO_1\" -e \"Selecting '$PACKAGE_1-3.5.0-7.x86_64' from repository '$REPO_1' for installation.\" \"$LOG_FILE_1\" )"

If you use a here-document you do not need the double quotes around the string and therefore you do not need to escape the double quotes inside:
Code:
read CMD << EOF
CNT=\$( grep -c -e "Non-option program arguments: '$PACKAGE_1'" -e "Checking whether to refresh metadata for $REPO_1" -e "Selecting '$PACKAGE_1-3.5.0-7.x86_64' from repository '$REPO_1' for installation." "$LOG_FILE_1" )
EOF

And you need to use double quotes around variable references:
Code:
printf "%s\n" "$CMD"
eval "$CMD"

A third option, since this is just a deferred command in a variable and there is no reason for evaluating one $sign earlier than the next you could use:
Code:
read CMD << "EOF"
CNT=$( grep -c -e "Non-option program arguments: '$PACKAGE_1'" -e "Checking whether to refresh metadata for $REPO_1" -e "Selecting '$PACKAGE_1-3.5.0-7.x86_64' from repository '$REPO_1' for installation." "$LOG_FILE_1" )
EOF

Then you do not need to escape any character, but then the variable names will show up when you print the content of $CMD, which you may or may not prefer...
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split variable length and variable format CSV file

Dear all, I have basic knowledge of Unix script and her I am trying to process variable length and variable format CSV file. The file length will depend on the numbers of Earnings/Deductions/Direct Deposits. And The format will depend on whether it is Earnings/Deductions or Direct Deposits... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chechun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
OPENPAM_READWORD(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				       OPENPAM_READWORD(3)

NAME
openpam_readword -- read a word from a file, respecting shell quoting rules LIBRARY
Pluggable Authentication Module Library (libpam, -lpam) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <security/pam_appl.h> #include <security/openpam.h> char * openpam_readword(FILE *f, int *lineno, size_t *lenp); DESCRIPTION
The openpam_readword() function reads the next word from a file, and returns it in a NUL-terminated buffer allocated with malloc(3). A word is a sequence of non-whitespace characters. However, whitespace characters can be included in a word if quoted or escaped according to the following rules: o An unescaped single or double quote introduces a quoted string, which ends when the same quote character is encountered a second time. The quotes themselves are stripped. o Within a single- or double-quoted string, all whitespace characters, including the newline character, are preserved as-is. o Outside a quoted string, a backslash escapes the next character, which is preserved as-is, unless that character is a newline, in which case it is discarded and reading continues at the beginning of the next line as if the backslash and newline had not been there. In all cases, the backslash itself is discarded. o Within a single-quoted string, double quotes and backslashes are preserved as-is. o Within a double-quoted string, a single quote is preserved as-is, and a backslash is preserved as-is unless used to escape a double quote. In addition, if the first non-whitespace character on the line is a hash character (#), the rest of the line is discarded. If a hash charac- ter occurs within a word, however, it is preserved as-is. A backslash at the end of a comment does cause line continuation. If lineno is not NULL, the integer variable it points to is incremented every time a quoted or escaped newline character is read. If lenp is not NULL, the length of the word (after quotes and backslashes have been removed) is stored in the variable it points to. RETURN VALUES
If successful, the openpam_readword() function returns a pointer to a dynamically allocated NUL-terminated string containing the first word encountered on the line. The caller is responsible for releasing the returned buffer by passing it to free(3). If openpam_readword() reaches the end of the line or file before any characters are copied to the word, it returns NULL. In the former case, the newline is pushed back to the file. If openpam_readword() reaches the end of the file while a quote or backslash escape is in effect, it sets errno to EINVAL and returns NULL. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The parsing rules are intended to be equivalent to the normal POSIX shell quoting rules. Any discrepancy is a bug and should be reported to the author along with sample input that can be used to reproduce the error. SEE ALSO
openpam_readline(3), openpam_readlinev(3), pam(3) STANDARDS
The openpam_readword() function is an OpenPAM extension. AUTHORS
The openpam_readword() function and this manual page were developed by Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@des.no>. BSD
September 12, 2014 BSD