Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk script returns nothing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk script returns nothing Post 302643385 by SkySmart on Saturday 19th of May 2012 09:39:40 AM
Old 05-19-2012
Awk script returns nothing

Code:
HSLIST=$1

LFILE=$2

STRING=$3

awk 'BEGIN {
  while((getline < "'${HSLIST}'")>0)
     S[$0]

FS="\n"; RS="}\n"
}

/servicestatus {/ && /service_description='${STRING}'/ {

for(X in D) delete D[X];

for(N=2; N<=NF; N++)
  {
       split($N, A, "=");
       D[A[1]] = A[2]
       i = 3;
       while (i in A) 
          D[A[1]] = D[A[1]] "=" A[i++];
  }

if (D[" host_name"] in S)
       printf("%s -------- %s -------- %s -------- %s -------- %s -------- %s -------- %s -------- %s\n", D["host_name"], D["service_description"], D["check_execution_time"], D["check_latency"], D["last_check"], D["last_hard_state_change"], D["current_state"], D["plugin_output"])

}' $LFILE

Can someone please explain to me why the above code isn't pulling out anything from a file that contain several chunks like the one below?

when i run the above code, i get back nothing.

synopsis:

i have a file that contains several of the chunks below. the chunks belong to several servers. one server may have several chunks associated with it.

in the below example, this specific chunk belongs to a server called "sky-01.net". there may be other chunks like this in a file, with service description "CPU_CHECK", "DISK_CHECK", etc.

Code:
servicestatus {
        host_name=sky-01.net
        service_description=LOAD_CHECK
        modified_attributes=1
        check_command=check_load!68!90
        check_period=24x7
        notification_period=24x7
        check_interval=30.000000
        retry_interval=2.000000
        event_handler=
        has_been_checked=1
        should_be_scheduled=1
        check_execution_time=1.362
        check_latency=7.887
        check_type=0
        current_state=0
        last_hard_state=0
        last_event_id=2523376
        current_event_id=2611954
        current_problem_id=0
        last_problem_id=1127556
        current_attempt=1
        max_attempts=1
        state_type=1
        last_state_change=1337124526
        last_hard_state_change=1337124526
        last_time_ok=1337433055
        last_time_warning=0
        last_time_unknown=1335465427
        last_time_critical=1337123063
        plugin_output=INFORMATIONAL:  Check is ok. NOthing to worry about.
        long_plugin_output=
        performance_data=
        last_check=1337433055
        next_check=1337434855
        check_options=0
        current_notification_number=0
        current_notification_id=2699849
        last_notification=0
        next_notification=0
        no_more_notifications=0
        notifications_enabled=1
        active_checks_enabled=1
        passive_checks_enabled=1
        event_handler_enabled=1
        problem_has_been_acknowledged=0
        acknowledgement_type=0
        flap_detection_enabled=0
        failure_prediction_enabled=1
        process_performance_data=1
        obsess_over_service=1
        last_update=1337433118
        is_flapping=0
        percent_state_change=0.00
        scheduled_downtime_depth=0
        }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script returns prompt

Hi, I am trying to create a script that will loop through my oratab file and pull out the instance name. Here is script: for instance in $(cat /etc/oratab|egrep ':N|:Y'|grep -v \*|grep -v \#|cut -f1 -d':') do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIND returns different results in script

When I execute this line at the command prompt I get a different answer than when I run it in a script? Any ideas on how to resolve? I'm trying to find all files/dir in a directory except files that start with the word file. Once I get this command to work, I will add the "delete" part to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk returns an integer?

I need to extract a value from a text file into a ksh script, and change the last two letters to "00". awk gets the right value (2500 in this example), but the variable has no value. I use the following command: StartTime=expr nawk 'NR==20 {print $11;exit}' $New_FILE echo 1 $StartTime... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iliklev
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk returns null?

hi i try to check if awk returns null and i dont know how it's works this is the command set EndByC = `ls -l $base | awk '/.c$/ {print $9}'` if ($EndByC=="") then #check if ther is XXX.c directory echo Sorry ther is no XXX.c folder "in" $base path echo the XXX.c folder is necessary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenkelor
6 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop returns more output with awk

I need to get total number of hdisk not assigned to any VGs. PDC # lspv |grep None |awk '{print $1}' |wc 131 131 1099 So, it shows 131 hdisks. I need to look at the individual hdisk fget_config info like below: PDC # fget_config -Av |grep hdisk230 hdisk230 dac1 229... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print last line returns empty string

hello I have a file with lines of info separated with "|" I want to amend the second field of the last line, using AWK my problem is with geting awk to return the last line this is what I am using awk 'END{ print $0 }' myFile but I get an empty result I tried the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TasosARISFC
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution of shell script returns error 127

Hi All, While running shell script i got following output. interpreter "usr/bin/ksh" not found sh: step1.sh: not found. ldnhpux | oracle >echo $? 127 - Running command "which ksh" retruns "usr/bin/ksh". - I found some information on web stating to remove extra carriage return chars,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RuchirP
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python call to bash script returns empty string

Hi all, I need help figuring out why my script won't work when envoked from web interface. First off, I'm fairly new to Linux and Shell scripting so, my apologies for being ignorant! So I have a python script that I envoke through a web interface. This script envokes my shell script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arod291
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage returns from awk output

I'm on Linux version 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64, using the Ksh shell. I'm working with the input file: John Daggett, 341 King Road, Plymouth MA Alice Ford, 22 East Broadway, Richmond VA Orville Thomas, 11345 Oak Bridge Road, Tulsa OK Terry Kalkas, 402 Lans Road, Beaver Falls PA Eric Adams,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prooney
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)