Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need Help Setting Path and Environment Varibles Post 302643129 by xbin on Friday 18th of May 2012 01:16:32 PM
Old 05-18-2012
I'm assuming that you haven't changed your default shell- a very old version of bash. Read the bash manual, pay attention under the heading INVOCATION. In OS X most users start an instance of your shell as a login shell (using /usr/gin/login) each time you open a new Terminal.app window. So, one (and only one) of the following will be read in this order.,~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, or ~/.profile after the shell reads /etc/profile. You can also start the shell in the Terminal.app as an interactive shell if you have the Terminal.app preferences set to Command (complete path) : /bin/bash in which case ~/.bashrc will be read. How are your Terminal.app preferences set?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up Environment Variables

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpandey
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sudo environment setting?

Hi, first post. As the nick suggests I'm a Unix noob, but I'm doing everything I can to learn fast...job requirement. These forums have been a huge help so far. I have a server running HP-UX 11.23b with Apache/2.0.59 HP-UX_Apache-based_Web_Server. Apache is not installed in the default... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixnoob
3 Replies

3. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem setting environment...

Hi All I'm attempting to automate the process of setting the DISPLAY environment variable when logging on (sourcing the .cshrc). I have a mixture of linux and solaris servers and this comnand: who -m | awk '{ print $6}' | tr -d '()' seems to work on all the servers. I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up your environment

Hi I am new to Solaris and was just given my id and need to setup my environment, what do i need to do to run certain commands without putting in the complete path. How do I create my .profile, I do not see under my login? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa_ken
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with setting up environment variables

hi all, I would appreciate if some one could explain me the difference between setting up the variables as shown below HOME=${HOME:-"/home/user1"} HOME=/home/user1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SSSB
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting Environment Variables

#!/bin/bash if ; then ASS1_DATA_DIR=./ echo $ASS1_DATA_DIR export ASS1_DATA_DIR echo "data dir" fi if ; then ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR=./ export ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR fi I want to create a new environment variable ASS1_DATA_DIR and ASS1_OUTPUT_DIR in bash and set them to the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting up environment variables

Hi all, This is my first post here. I need to set up a few environment variables with a shell script. Some are hard-coded, but some should come from other commands or as input from the user. How do I do that? For example, I need to export a variable as such: export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:8.0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: exchequer598
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Setting up LAMP environment

I wish to setup LAMP environment. Amongst, I have successfully installed Linux 6.1. I am looking fwd to install - Apace Web Server, My Sql Database & PHP environment. Say if I look for MySql, could see downloadable available in rpm format. But this must be copied over to Linux machine. As... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)