Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If variable contains a pathname then ACTION item Post 302643051 by itkamaraj on Friday 18th of May 2012 11:05:44 AM
Old 05-18-2012
Code:
while read line
do
  [ -f "$line" ] && grep "SEARCH PHASE" "$line" || echo "It is not an file"
done < infile

This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find without pathname

How can I get the results of a find back without the pathname for example if i do find ../../ -name \*.sql i dont want to see directory/directory/filename.sql I only want to see filename.sql (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the last dir from a pathname using IFS

I have a question, and don't know my way around with it. :( If I have a pathname say. i have the following pathname: /users/classA/tests how can I get only 'tests' out of that path. I know we have to use IFS=/ ... but next, i am clueless :confused: I also know that I can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam2004
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a pathname in csh?

I am wondering if there's an easy way to extract individual directories from a pathname in a csh script. For example, if I have a shell variable such as set datadirlist = /space/quimby/1 can I get 'space', 'quimby', and '1' and assign it individually to another variable? Any suggestions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

eliminate pathname from the file name in the o/p

Hi, Im finding some files form a specific path and den writing those files to another file as: find /SYS/admin/data/xml -name '*.xml' -type f ! -newer file1 -print >>out.xml and when im doing cat out.xml im getting like dis: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding pathname for directory

Hi Could someone help me? I'm not sure how to find the full pathname of a directory. I just want to be able to specify a directory. e.g directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4/directory5 I want to be able to put in "directory5" and then i want a return of the full address. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shomila_a
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Pathname problem

Hello. After looking through the forum I am trying without success to remove lines from a file each time that ligne contains a pattern. As this is running in script, I am using some variables: The command : sed '/pattern/d' source_file > corrected_source_file In the script sed ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why Do You Need the Explicit Pathname to Execute?

Hi! If your working directory contains a file you want to work on, or give as an argument, you don't have to give the explicit pathname, just the filename, like so: $ vi while_loop.ksh But if you want execute an executable file, you must supply the explicate pathname, like so: ./while_loop.ksh... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get the pathname in variable

Hi, I want to saperate file path and file name into two variables. for ex:- lets say file is /home/prasoon/File.txt i want FILE_PATH=/home/prasoon and FILENAME=File.txt i need your help. Cheers Prasoon (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on storing a variable from a rename action.

I have a simple if statement I am working with to validate if a file exist and rename it using the following method: if ;then mv .htaccess .htaccess.bak_$(date +%F-%T);fi;The output is just as it should be and I need to have that saved as a variable so that I can implement a revert changes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moderhater
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)