Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell string array
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell string array Post 302642697 by Scrutinizer on Friday 18th of May 2012 12:23:49 AM
Old 05-18-2012
/bin/sh on Ubuntu is dash, it is fast, but no-thrills and strictly POSIX compliant shell and therefore it does not know arrays. Arrays should not be used in combination with /bin/sh (on any system), if it does work it is pure happenstance.

Use /bin/bash or /bin/ksh (which is /bin/ksh93) instead..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-18-2012 at 02:29 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string to array

Hi Experts, I'm new to Shell Scripting world and need a little help from you "Scripting Gurus". I want to convert a string (entered by a user) to array in csh. I want something like this: echo "Enter the Numbers: " set num = $< Suppose, user enters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 This... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hold string array in shell scripts

Gents, Below is the Shell script which I am trying to hold a string of array that is passed from a java file. But it is not working . Can any one please help me to by fixing it. #!/bin/csh/ set copy = ($argv) echo $copy >> /home/users/bavananr/rrr.log echo $copy >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brajesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split string into array in shell

Hi all, I want to split a string into array based on given delimiter, for example: String: "foo|bar|baz" with delimiter "|" into array: strArr to strArr with values foo, bar and baz. Thanks a lot. Roy987 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use string in array name?

Hi, I'm the beginner in bash scripting and I just want to create loop, which will create a few tables with string in name, and each time i try to do this in the following way, I receive: a=1; while do echo "Plik a=$a" for m in {1..4} do echo "Plik m=$m" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterqu
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign an shell array to awk array?

Hello All, Can you please help me with the below. #!/bin/bash ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5 EXTRACT_DT:30-SEP-12 VER_NUM:1" ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert String to an Array using shell scripting in JSON file.

This is the sample json I have pasted here. I want all the IP address strings to be converted into an array. For example "10.38.32.202" has to be converted to everywhere in the JSON. There are multiple IPs in a JSON I am pasting one sample object from the JSON. But the IPs already in an Array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinshas1
11 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD