Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Rename multiple files, changing prefix, extension and dropping characters Post 302642497 by neutronscott on Thursday 17th of May 2012 01:17:57 PM
Old 05-17-2012
I suppose that's OK if your filenames have absolutely no chance of containing whitespace or special characters. It's not good practice to parse ls or evaluate user data.

Probably the command was copied wrong. Did you try post #3?

proof of concept
Code:
$ ls -l
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 mute mute 0 May 17 17:34 bad file?echo fail
$ ls -1 | sed 's/\(^0\{1,4\}\)\([0-9][0-9]\)\(.*\)/mv & newa0\2.abc/ ' | sh
sh: bad: not found
fail

Last edited by neutronscott; 05-17-2012 at 02:33 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files, to get rid of extension

I have a good script to rename multiple files, but what's the best way I can remove some text from multiple filenames? Say I have a directory with 35 files with a .XLS at the end, how can I rename them to remove the .XLS but keep everything the same, without having to mv manually. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple files into one with the same name/different extension

I've been trying to find information in regard to creating a script that will generate HTML files. I currently have a series of files that contain code I need to surround with a <textarea> tag for easy viewing. I have about a thousand files that contain code, one file that contains the HTML code up... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12o
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files and directories with special characters

Hello guys, I was looking for a shell script that removes all the special characters from the files and the subdirectories recursively. I could not locate it any more. Dose any body have a similar script that dose that? Thanks for the help. AV (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh command to rename all files with no extension

hi! i want to rename all files with no extension with the extension DAT. with this command ls |grep -v "\\." i can list files but i dont know how i am going to rename them.. so i tried FILE_LIST=ls |grep -v "\\." for TEST_FILE in ${FILE_LIST} do mv $TEST_FILE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kouppoua
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to rename files to files with mv extension?

currently in my directories $ ls -lrth total 32K -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 864 Feb 25 16:01 cor_bin_gateway_cnt.sql -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 782 Feb 25 16:01 mer_bin_gateway_cnt.sql I want to rename files with *.sql to *.mv extension, but when I execute the following $ mv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename multiple files in shell bash, changing elements order.

Hi, I want to rename several files like this: example: A0805120817.BHN A0805120818.BHN ..... to: 20120817.0805.N 20120818.0805.N ...... How can i do this via terminal or in shell bash script ? thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintolcv
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename all files at a time by appending some characters at the begining?

Hi I have a list a filename in a directory starting with particular pattern for example: abc_1234.txt abc_7565.txt abc_7676.txt abc_7765.txt i need to rename all these files by appending bck. or bck_ Expected output: bck.abc_1234.txt bck.abc_7565.txt bck.abc_7676.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl command to download multiple files with a file prefix

I am using the below curl command to download a single file from client server and it is working as expected curl --ftp-ssl -k -u ${USER}:${PASSWD} ftp://${HOST}:${PORT}/path/to/${FILE} --output ${DEST}/${FILE} let say the client has 3 files hellofile.101, hellofile.102, hellofile.103 and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
3 Replies
ossmix(1)							 OSS User Commands							 ossmix(1)

NAME
ossmix - Open Sound System command-line mixer program. SYNOPSIS
ossmix [-d <dev#>] [-achqD] [control name] [value] DESCRIPTION
ossmix is a simple command-line mixer utility that is used to display the mixer settings of physical and virtual audio devices. OSS version 4 has an extended mixer API which supports some device specific features that may not available using other mixer applications. OPTIONS
-D Display device information. -a Dump mixer settings for all mixers (normal format). -c Dump mixer settings for all mixers (command format). -h Display usage information. -q Quiet mode. -v[1|2] Verbose mode. -v2 prints more detailed infoamation than -v1. ctrl# value Change value of a mixer control. <no arg> Display current/possible settings. USAGE
ossmix without any arguments displays the current settings of the default mixer device (usually the motherboard sound chip). This printout can also be used to find out the supported control names and their possible values. Currently all controls accept an ON/OFF value, a mono value (0 to 100) or a stereo value (left:right where both channel volumes can be between 0 and 100). The value can also be expressed in a relative form (e.g. +1 to add 1 to the previous volume). An ON/OFF control can also receive a TOGGLE value. If a control has a name in quotes following the normal output, than the name can be used instead of the control when setting a value. The following is a sample printout produced by ossmix: Selected mixer 0/Creative AudioPCI Known controls are: vol <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 50:50) pcm <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 50:50) speaker <monovol> (currently 21) line <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 32:32) line.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF) mic <monovol> (currently 16) mic.rec ON|OFF (currently ON) cd <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 100:100) cd.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF) pcm2 <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 75:75) line1 <both/leftvol>[:<rightvol>] (currently 32:32) line1.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF) line2 <monovol> (currently 32) line2.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF) line3 <monovol> (currently 0) line3.rec ON|OFF (currently OFF) mic.micboost ON|OFF (currently ON) mic.micbias ON|OFF (currently ON) mute.pcmmute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.pcm2mute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.micmute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.cdmute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.linemute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.line1mute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.line2mute ON|OFF (currently OFF) mute.line3mute ON|OFF (currently OFF) SELECTING MIXER DEVICE
It's possible to select the mixer device by using the -d<mixernumber> command line argument. This argument (when used) should be the first one on the command line. By default the mixer number 0 will be accessed. To find the available mixer devices, type ossinfo -x and look under the Mixers heading for available mixer devices. CHANGING MIXER SETTINGS
Changing the values is done just like with the original "mixer" applet. For example: ossmix pcm 50:60 The above sets the pcm control (audio playback volume) so that the left channel volume is 50 and the right channel volume is 60. With just "ossmix pcm 50" the both channel volumes will be set to 50. In addition to the old mixer there are now some (usually ON/OFF) settings. These settings are device specific and don't work with all soundcards. The easiest way to find them out is to start ossmix without command line arguments (other than -d#). Some control names contain a dot ("."). This dot is required when changing the value. For example: "ossmix -d0 mic.micboost ON". EXAMPLES
ossmix vol 50 Set the vol control volume to 50. If the pcm control is a stereo control, than both channels will be set to 50. ossmix vol 50:60 Set the vol control so that the left channel volume is 50 and the right channel volume is 60. ossmix vol +2 Raise vol volume by 2. ossmix -- vol +2:-2 Raise the left channel volume by 2, and lower right channel volume by 2. The "--" is needed on some systems so that the "-2" won't be mistaken for a parameter. ossmix micboost ON Set micboost to ON. ossmix micboost TOGGLE Toggle micboost. ossmix mplayer +2 Raise mplayer volume by 2. This would only work if mplayer is using the virtual mixer. FILES
/usr/bin/ossmix SEE ALSO
ossdevlinks(1), ossxmix(1), savemixer(1) AUTHOR
4Front Technologies 16 December 2012 ossmix(1)