Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to remove a device in use? Post 302641267 by nivaspIND on Wednesday 16th of May 2012 02:14:14 AM
Old 05-16-2012
1. lsdev -p fscsi1
would like to know what are the devices attached to them disks/tapes...
2. any log in errpt ?
3. Something is holding , even after after reboot, have you looked at /etc/inittab or had a closer look at ps -ef to check if any related process are running
Hope this helps.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

remove device

Hello I need to remove a device (tape rmt0) for to put dinamic in another lpar but when I try to remove I get the next message I try also If there are some process about it but nothing. and before that the device was available and I put on defined status but the same thing I canīt remove it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

2. AIX

rmdev won't remove disk device AIX

Hi all, I'm attempting to remove some EMC hdisk devices which we recently had made available to one of our backup servers. This is an AIX 5.3 server. When I try doing an rmdev I get the following: root@********:/dev# rmdev -d -l hdisk495 Method error (/usr/lib/methods/ucfgdevice): ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.J.Hund
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX rm -rf error "rm: cannot remove `filename' : Device or resource busy"

Hi Everyone, I am trying to remove a directory: $ rm -rf directory_name/ rm: cannot remove `directory_name/filename': Device or resource busy What does this mean, and why can't I remove these files? I already tried moving into the directory, and removing the files individually, but I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna_Z
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

5. AIX

Gpfs how to remove nsd from a device

Gpfs how to remove nsd from a device Need to removed nsd from the device below /apps/abinitio/outbound01 90 30 DEVappsabob01 root@carlvpc0lpr24 # df -g /apps/abinitio/outbound01 Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/DEVappsabob01 90.00 89.39 1% 4032 1%... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asyed123
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
norewind_close_disabled(5)					File Formats Manual					norewind_close_disabled(5)

NAME
norewind_close_disabled - determine whether access to tape device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option is allowed VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
Note: this tunable was named in releases prior to HP-UX 11i v3. This tunable notifies the tape driver whether it should allow access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. When this tunable is on, the tape driver will fail any open on a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option (that is, or with a status of The tunable allows the safe sharing of tape devices in SAN tape backup solution configurations. The disabling of device special files without no-rewind-on-close in a SAN tape backup solution configuration prevents the accidental sending of a rewind command on close from HP-UX systems via standard tape commands like which would corrupt a backup in process. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on if the system is going to be used in a SAN tape backup solution configuration. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? The tape driver will fail any open to a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option with a status of This behavior prevents the usage of any tape device special file without the no-rewind-on-close option. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? This tunable should be turned off if the system is not part of a SAN tape backup solution configuration or the system utilizes will not function unless it has access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? A rewind may be issued accidentally from this system on close, possibly corrupting a backup being issued from another system on the SAN. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. EXAMPLES
Query the current value of the tunable: Set the value of the tunable to To save the value of the tunable across reboots: WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
scsi_tape(7), scsimgr_estape(7). Tunable Kernel Parameters norewind_close_disabled(5)