Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root] Post 302640735 by ygemici on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 09:05:28 AM
Old 05-15-2012
like this?
Code:
# su - ftptomsp -c "some copy commands"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mistyped shell path, now i can't login as the only user that can su to root

i mistyped the location of bash and now i can't login as the only other user who belongs to wheel on my freebsd box. since i'm having many problems with samba, this has frozen my attempts to get things resolved with the former issue. i've been told that 'su -m' should do the trick, but it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find when user su'ed to root

Does anybody know how to make a shell script that finds all the times that any user su'ed to root and create a cron job sends that file output via e-mail to one user? Thanks!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jrvilino
1 Replies

3. SCO

Executing script with root privilages from a user login

I need to regular users to be able to launch a script which does something requiring root privilages. I've tried using chmod 4755 which gives it -rwsr-xr-x permissions but it still can not be run as the regular user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: checkpro
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into root from user and execute command through script

i have logged in as user. I want to write a script to login into root and execute commands for eg. ifconfig or other command. kindly help me out. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for user login information.

Hi Gurus, I need help in writing a script which should say which user has used or logged in in the server from past one month using FTP or TELNET and the output should be of the form Username Service NumberofTimes Date. Thanks in Advance. ---------- Post updated at 04:01 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to login as a different user inside a shell script?

hi, i want to login as a different user inside a shell script and then call another shell script from that script. how to do that? original script : script_A.sh so when the script_A.sh is called , i want to login as a different user and then call another shell script(script_B.sh) from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Switch from Local user to root user from a shell script?

Hi, I need to switch from local user to root user in a shell script. I need to make it automated so that it doesn't prompt for the root password. I heard the su command will do that work but it prompt for the password. and also can someone tell me whether su command spawns a new shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Little
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for login user and email

Guys please help me I have a linux class and I want to write a shell script who shows which user loged in and show the process that are active in his/her shell in another text file and email that file to root just when the user loged out Thanks every bod (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamedk1122
1 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)