Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need some help in bash scripting with ssh Post 302640203 by muogli on Monday 14th of May 2012 08:55:02 AM
Old 05-14-2012
Thx for modifying my mistake. I havenīt seen the code tag earlier...Sorry for that.
I think I found out one error, but still donīt work as expected. As I put an echo behind every ssh line, and tried to test it, I found out, that it is blocking some ssh connections by my user because I not allowed to jump on every machine. Ok, that was my fault. But now the ping is working fine, and I get a nice reply back from the machines. Also the input into the files were fine. But the script doesnīt jump into the else part, if a ping isnīt possible or a ssh connection isnīt possible. Do I have to change this part? Any suggestions?

And placing the script locally on the machines isnīt that easy, because there were over 1700 machines, most of them virtualized and maintained by our customers. So I īm having not the root access, I would need for that kind of operations Im planning to do.

And not all machines are running the same OS. Different distrbutions on different machines. This depends on customer needs.

Thx in advance for your help! Sometimes I canīt see the forest standing in front of the trees Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting an ssh session?

I know the root login/password for a machines, and I want to automate some commands like this from each: ssh root@remoteHost1 "tail /var/log/messages" ssh root@remoteHost2 "tail /var/log/messages" ssh root@remoteHost3 "tail /var/log/messages" ssh root@remoteHost4 "tail /var/log/messages" ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help scripting tar over ssh

Hello - I've used 'expect' in FTP scripts before without any problems, but am unsure as to how I would script a tar over ssh session? I need to send password for authentication to the remote Suse machine. :confused: Any assistance provided would be GREATLY appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh scripting

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that will ssh into a number of boxes and run 'top' and 'ps', then output the results to a file with the hostname. The script only seems to run top or ps on the local machine though. Any help would be apperciated #ssh into box while read box do ssh -n $box ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brimak86
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash commands to an 'ssh' within an ssh'

I've struggled to find a solution to this problem from searching so I thought I'd write a post to see what can be done. I'm attempting to connect and run commands on 'server2' but because of security limitations I cannot access it directly. I can however ssh into 'server1' and then into... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcintosh.jamie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH and AWK Scripting

I am trying to put an awk command in ssh, for example: ERRCOUNT=`ssh -n $HOST "ps -ef | grep .job | grep -v grep | grep -v alert_jobs_still_running |wc -l"` From korn shell prompt this works: awk '/^Jul 12 16/ {print $0}' /u01/app/oracle/jobs/adhoc/test.dat | wc -l My data file:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradyd
3 Replies

6. Linux

ssh and passwd scripting execution problems on linux

I'm having a problem here and I was wondering if anyone could help me? I'm putting together a password script. First off, I don't have root access. I have sudo access. Lets say the User ID is Trevor1, the password is H!rry23! and the server name is Linux1234 This is how the script begins ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wdog17
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting ssh question

I am new here so I apologize if this question is in the wrong section or outside of the realm of this board. Also, this is just my first week into shell programming so I am probably doing lots of things wrong. I am trying to write a script to ssh to a machine as one user and then run a command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parva
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH to remote hosts in shell scripting

Hi There, I have a file contaning some 100 servers names one by one the file called redhat_servers.txt I want to prepare a script where it should give me the host name and kernal version. I wrote like this, #!/bin/bash while read line do ssh $line "uname -nr" done <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed on ssh in bash scripting

HI I have the following requirement I have a script a.sh which will deploy files in multiple servers .The argument for the a.sh is abc.gz host1.conf where abc.gz is a zip file and one.conf will contain all the database connection string . Now I have to write a b.sh which will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry00514
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh scripting SSH to Compare File Sizes

Hello, I currently have very little experience with Shell scripting and trying to create a script for the purpose of collecting the size of a couple sizes on 4 different Hosts. The Idea is to collected the information from the files in which the script is kicked off on, store the values into... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abstract3000
17 Replies
jrunscript(1)						      General Commands Manual						     jrunscript(1)

NAME
jrunscript - command line script shell SYNOPSIS
jrunscript [ options ] [ arguments... ] PARAMETERS
options Options, if used, should follow immediately after the command name. arguments Arguments, if used, should follow immediately after options or command name. DESCRIPTION
jrunscript is a command line script shell. jrunscript supports both an interactive (read-eval-print) mode and a batch (-f option) mode of script execution. This is a scripting language independent shell. By default, JavaScript is the language used, but the -l option can be used to specify a different language. Through Java to scripting language communication, jrunscript supports "exploratory programming" style. NOTE: This tool is experimental and may not be available in future versions of the JDK. OPTIONS
-classpath path Specify where to find the user's .class files that are accessed by the script. -cp path This is a synonym for -classpath path -Dname=value Set a Java system property. -Jflag Pass flag directly to the Java virtual machine on which jrunscript is run. -l language Use the specified scripting language. By default, JavaScript is used. Note that to use other scripting languages, you also need to spec- ify the corresponding script engine's jar file using -cp or -classpath option. -e script Evaluate the given script. This option can be used to run "one liner" scripts specified completely on the command line. -encoding encoding Specify the character encoding used while reading script files. -f script-file Evaluate the given script file (batch mode). -f - Read and evaluate a script from standard input (interactive mode). -help Output help message and exit. -? Output help message and exit. -q List all script engines available and exit. ARGUMENTS
If [arguments...] are present and if no -e or -f option is used, then the first argument is the script file and the rest of the arguments, if any, are passed as script arguments. If [arguments..] and -e or -f option are used, then all [arguments..] are passed as script argu- ments. If [arguments..], -e and -f are missing, interactive mode is used. Script arguments are available to a script in an engine variable named "arguments" of type String array. EXAMPLES
Executing inline scripts jrunscript -e "print('hello world')" jrunscript -e "cat('http://java.sun.com')" Use specified language and evaluate given script file jrunscript -l js -f test.js Interactive mode jrunscript js>print('hello world'); hello world js>34 + 55 89 js> thread(function() { print('hello world'); } hello world js> Run script file with script arguments jrunscript test.js arg1 arg2 arg3 test.js is script file to execute and arg1, arg2 and arg3 are passed to script as script arguments. Script can access these using "argu- ments" array. SEE ALSO
If JavaScript is used, then before evaluating any user defined script, jrunscript initializes certain built-in functions and objects. These JavaScript built-ins are documented in jsdocs. 06 Aug 2006 jrunscript(1)