Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vm ware linux
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting vm ware linux Post 302640091 by prabhu_kumar on Monday 14th of May 2012 05:30:12 AM
Old 05-14-2012
vm ware linux

HI I am using vmware on my windows system and I had the red hat linux working on my system.But the problem I'm facinf certain commands are not working in lunux.
i don't know the reason why

ex : echo $shell

this should dispaly the shell.but system responds with blank line.

ex : echo $HOME
again blnk line

kindly help do i need to change any settings?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unix Ware 7

I have Installed SCO UnixWare 7 on to a 13 gig hd and up on istallation I noticed that that only 8gs where detected. I went ahead and continued the install just to see what I could learn from this. I'd like to know what happend. Also I used a free none comersial single user licenses that I had... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kikkin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Question - Does anyone know a good forum for selling Unix H/ware?

Hi ... apologies for posting in this section ... I figured this would be the best place to pose this question - does anyone know a good forum for selling Unix related hardware - I have a handful of HP C3750's that I would like to sell. I am located in Toronto. Thx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krs1
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Middle ware application in Solaris

Hi Friends I need ur suggestions. I have 3+ experience in solaris10. Iam planning for study Web sphere in UNIX. Is this the right choice can i do that. how is the market value for WEBSPHERE. Waiting for the replys (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Having solaris installed over VM ware machine in windows

I have installed solaris 10 over VM ware in windows machine. now i want to share the files from windows to solaris. how can i do so.. and pls tell if through putty i can access the solaris from windows machine without logging onto VMware. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 SPARC for VM Ware

Hi All, Actually i need to install solaris 10 version over VMWare which is installed over my windows machine. On that solaris version i need to install Weblogic application server, I need to know where can i download SOLARIS 10 for this and also what is the difference in SPARC and x86 version and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
10 Replies
VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)					   Open VM Tools				       VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)

NAME
vmware-user-suid-wrapper - wrapper programm for vmware-user(1) SYNOPSIS
vmware-user-suid-wrapper DESCRIPTION
Operations on the vmblock(9) filesystem are considered privileged, and as such may only be issued on a file descriptor acquired by root. This is accomplished by vmware-user-suid-wrapper, a small setuid wrapper whose only purpose is to acquire a filesystem file descriptor, drop superuser privileges, and then execute vmware-user(1). In particular, prepare the system for vmware-user means that it unmounts the vmblock file system, unloads the vmblock module, then reloads the module, mounts the file system, and opens a file descriptor that vmware- user can use to add and remove blocks. OPTIONS
vmware-user-suid-wrapper has no options. SEE ALSO
vmware-checkvm(1) vmware-hgfsclient(1) vmware-toolbox(1) vmware-toolbox-cmd(1) vmware-user(1) vmware-xferlogs(1) libguestlib(3) libvmtools(3) vmware-guestd(8) vmware-hgfsmounter(8) vmblock(9) vmci(9) vmhgfs(9) vmmemctl(9) vmsock(9) vmsync(9) vmxnet(9) vmxnet3(9) HOMEPAGE
More information about vmware-user-suid-wrapper and the Open VM Tools can be found at <http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
Open VM Tools were written by VMware, Inc. <http://www.vmware.com/>. This manual page was put together from homepage materials by Daniel Baumann <daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 2010.03.20-243334 2010-04-08 VMWARE-USER-SUID-WRAPPER(8)