Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to merge two files on an index Post 302639961 by LMHmedchem on Sunday 13th of May 2012 09:49:11 PM
Old 05-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by huaihaizi3
Code:
paste file1 file2 | awk '{$3=""}1'

The main point here is to do some checking to make sure that the index values match. There are allot of ways to stuff two files together, but some of these files are massive and have had quite a bit of processing done on them. There is absolutely no guarantee that they will match up, or that the index key will always be in the same column. The value of the index needs to be checked for each pair of rows to make sure that matching data is merged in the output.

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to merge files

Can anybody help me out with this problem " a shell program that takes one or any number of file names as input; sorts the lines of each file in ascending order and displays the non blank lines of each sorted file and merge them as one combined sorted file. The program generates an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arya
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files in windows using perl script

Hi I want to merge two or more files using perl in windows only(Just like Paste command in Unix script) . How can i do this.Is ther any single command to do this? Thanks Kunal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunal_dixit
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needed to merge two files and report differences

Hello, I have two txt files that look like this: db.0.0.0.0: Total number of NS records = 1 db.127.0.0.0: Total number of NS records = 1 Total number of PTR records = 1 db.172.19.0.0: Total number of NS records = 1 Total number of PTR records = 3 db.172.19.59.0: Total... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to merge xml files with options

Hi, I have a very basic knowledge of shell scripting & would like some help with a little problem I have. I sometimes use a program calle phronix & sometimes like to compare its results which are *.xml files. Which is easy enough but a friend wants to avoid typing the path to the files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptrbee
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two files via looping script

Hi all, I hope you can help me. I got a file a and a file b File a contains a b c d e f g h File b contains 1 2 3 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort from start index and end index in line

Hi All, I have a file (FileNames.txt) which contains the following data in it. $ cat FileNames.txt MYFILE17XXX208Sep191307.csv MYFILE19XXX208Sep192124.csv MYFILE20XXX208Sep192418.csv MYFILE22XXX208Sep193234.csv MYFILE21XXX208Sep193018.csv MYFILE24XXX208Sep194053.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish_indus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge two text files of different size on common index

I have two text files. text file 1: ID filePath col1 col2 col3 1 10584588.mol 269.126 190.958 23.237 2 10584549.mol 281.001 200.889 27.7414 3 10584511.mol 408.824 158.316 29.8561 4 10584499.mol 245.632 153.241 25.2815 5 10584459.mol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

9. Programming

Merge sort when array starts from zero(0) index???

Hi friends, I have implemented the merge sort algorith in c, before I put forward my question, you please have a look at my code. // The array is sorted, as 1234 #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <math.h> int A = {4, 3, 2, 1}; void Merge_Sort(int , int, int); void... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple tab delimited files with index checking

Hello, I have 40 data files where the first three columns are the same (in theory) and the 4th column is different. Here is an example of three files, file 2: A_f0_r179_pred.txt Id Group Name E0 1 V N(,)'1 0.2904 2 V N(,)'2 0.3180 3 V N(,)'3 0.3277 4 V N(,)'4 0.3675 5 V N(,)'5 0.3456 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies
funindex(1)							SAORD Documentation						       funindex(1)

NAME
funindex - create an index for a column of a FITS binary table SYNOPSIS
funindex <switches> <iname> [oname] OPTIONS
NB: these options are not compatible with Funtools processing. Please use the defaults instead. -c # compress output using gzip" -a # ASCII output, ignore -c (default: FITS table)" -f # FITS table output (default: FITS table)" -l # long output, i.e. with key value(s) (default: long)" -s # short output, i.e. no key value(s) (default: long)" DESCRIPTION
The funindex script creates an index for the specified column (key) by running funtable -s (sort) and then saving the column value and the record number for each sorted row. This index will be used automatically by funtools filtering of that column, provided the index file's modification date is later than that of the data file. The first required argument is the name of the FITS binary table to index. Please note that text files cannot be indexed at this time. The second required argument is the column (key) name to index. While multiple keys can be specified in principle, the funtools index process- ing assume a single key and will not recognize files containing multiple keys. By default, the output index file name is [root]_[key].idx, where [root] is the root of the input file. Funtools looks for this specific file name when deciding whether to use an index for faster filtering. Therefore, the optional third argument (output file name) should not be used for funtools processing. For example, to create an index on column Y for a given FITS file, use: funindex foo.fits Y This will generate an index named foo_y.idx, which will be used by funtools for filters involving the Y column. SEE ALSO
See funtools(7) for a list of Funtools help pages version 1.4.2 January 2, 2008 funindex(1)