Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers GREP Problem with Search Values Post 302639249 by WongSifu on Friday 11th of May 2012 11:38:29 AM
Old 05-11-2012
Thanks for the reply.

I'm creating my program in Perl, and i can't seem to get the following code to run.

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1]; next} $1 in A' file1 FS=, file2

It looks like it doesn't like the $1

Code:
awk: NR==FNR{A[]; next}  in A
awk:           ^ syntax error
awk: fatal: invalid subscript expression

the code in my program is as follows:

Code:
qw("awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1]; next} $10 in A' $filePortfolios FS=, $fileIn > $fileTemp");

Last edited by WongSifu; 05-11-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: adding orginal code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search list of values

I have a file which contains a list of search values $cat my.txt FTIP002671604 FTIP002702940 FTIP002703183 FTIP002414805 And lots of such search values. I have to search these valus in the current directory. Can we do this one command wihtout writing a script. Regards, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep on search string in a txt file over multiple files

I have a couple of things I got stuck on 1) I have a text file containing 25k search string that I need to search against compressed file. I have used this command but somehow it doesn't seems to use all the search terms. I have put one search string per line in the txt file (I clean up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m00
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search values between ranges in File1 within File2

Hi people, I have 2 files, one with a list of non consecutive ranges (File1.txt), where each range begins with the value in column 1 and finishes with the value in column 2 in the same line, as can be seen above. 215312581156279 215312581166279 215312582342558 215312582357758... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: read values from file1; search for values in file2

I have read another post about this issue and am wondering how to adapt it to my own, much simpler, issue. I have a file of user IDs like so: 333333 321321 546465 ...etc I need to take each number and use it to print records wherein the 5th field matches the user ID pulled from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bubnoff
2 Replies

5. Programming

Binary Search Tree Search problem

I am writing code for a binary search tree search and when I compile it i am getting strange errors such as, " /tmp/ccJ4X8Xu.o: In function `btree::btree()': project1.cpp:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `btree::btree()' " What does that mean exactly? tree.h #ifndef TREE_H #define... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meredith1990
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search and replace a array values in perl

Hi, i want to search and replace array values by using perl perl -pi -e "s/${d$i]}/${b$j]}" *.xml i am using while loop for the same. if i excute this,it shows "Substitution replacement not terminated at -e line 1.". please tell me what's wrong this line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query the table and return values to shell script and search result values from another files.

Hi, I need a shell script, which would search the result values from another files. 1)execute " select column1 from table_name" query on the table. 2)Based on the result, need to be grep from .wft files. could please explain about this.Below is the way i am using. #!/bin/sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rami Reddy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and modify the values

I have one file and the file may contain 500 to 15,000 records. I need to search pattern ^F509= and then increment the corresponding value by one and print the entire line. Please note that Its not a fixed length file. Can anyone please help? ex: ^F509=204656 ^F509=204656 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep/awk using a begin search pattern and end search pattern

I have this fileA TEST FILE ABC this file contains ABC; TEST FILE DGHT this file contains DGHT; TEST FILE 123 this file contains ABC, this file contains DEF, this file contains XYZ, this file contains KLM ; I want to have a fileZ that has only (begin search pattern for will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbabz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)