Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shared Services Platform
Operating Systems AIX Shared Services Platform Post 302638049 by leonpanokarren on Wednesday 9th of May 2012 09:09:53 PM
Old 05-09-2012
Shared Services Platform

We have a BI shop that uses a shared ETL server and a database cluster for the EDW and several different data marts catering to individual business groups.

Of late, we have noticed that a lot of sloppy code has crept in and the ETL server (and sometimes the DB as well) seems to be maxing out on CPU and memory. The indvidual business groups do not want to sponsor any effort to clean the code up - because as they see it, they are getting their reports - however, for IT management, continuing with the existing infrastructure is getting less realistic every day. Of course, our immediate solution is to get budgeted for more hardware (little more memory and re-org our IO).

However, we dont want to find ourselves in this situation again. I was thinking we could define AIX limitations to CPU, and memory to restrict the resource consumption of the individual business applications on the ETL server to a reasonable maximum - and if they need more, have business budget for the additional resources needed.

I meant to ask around how is this working out for others on the forum? Is this a problem at all? Any insights will be truly appreciated!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Platform decision

Hi folks First, let me apologize in advance for the long message. I know this will sound like a typical "newbie" message but I am really working to understand the technology in order to make informed decisions. I am currently in the process of evaluating Unix hardware and OS platforms for an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scooter
5 Replies

2. AIX

AIX platform

Hello, I need to download some programs to AIX 5.2 box but the download page have two versions: for 32 and 64 bits. Is there a command to know what platform is my AIX 5.2 box? I mean 32 or 64 bits?? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpoot
1 Replies

3. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

4. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

which platform

hi everyone, i am new in unix. i want to write(develop) unix shell script/program. which platform can i use. Generally i write scripts in "vi" platform. Are there any platform for develop shell programs. Please help me. Thanx for your advice. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
6 Replies

6. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Restart of services if port no is changed in /etc/services in RHEL

I had a doubt if any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services in an RHEL setup is changed. For eg, the port no of 443 for SSL may need to be changed. I hope my query is clear whether any services need to be restarted if port no in /etc/services is changed. Please revert with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start services based on dependent services on other AIX machine

Hi, I just started working on a script. After my research, i found a command which can help me: AIM: To build a script which starts the services (Services 1) on server 1 automatically whenever its down. And it has a dependency on other service (Service 2) on Server 2. So my script has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: draghun9
4 Replies
load_dat_font(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					    load_dat_font(3alleg4)

NAME
load_dat_font - Loads a FONT from an Allegro datafile. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> FONT *load_dat_font(const char *filename, RGB *pal, void *param) DESCRIPTION
Loads a FONT from an Allegro datafile. You can set param parameter to point to an array that holds two strings that identify the font and the palette in the datafile by name. The first string in this list is the name of the font. You can pass NULL here to just load the first font found in the datafile. The second string can be used to specify the name of the palette associated with the font. This is only returned if the pal parameter is not NULL. If you pass NULL for the name of the palette, the last palette found before the font was found is returned. You can also pass NULL for param, which is treated as if you had passed NULL for both strings separately. In this case, the function will simply load the first font it finds from the datafile and the palette that precedes it. For example, suppose you have a datafile named `fonts.dat' with the following contents: FONT FONT_1_DATA FONT FONT_2_DATA FONT FONT_3_DATA PAL FONT_1_PALETTE PAL FONT_2_PALETTE Then the following code will load FONT_1_DATA as a FONT and return FONT_1_PALETTE as the palette: FONT *f; PALETTE pal; char *names[] = { "FONT_1_DATA", "FONT_1_PALETTE" } f = load_dat_font("fonts.dat", pal, names); If instead you want to load the second font, FONT_2, from the datafile, you would use: FONT *f; PALETTE pal; char *names[] = { "FONT_2_DATA", "FONT_2_PALETTE" } f = load_dat_font("fonts.dat", pal, names); If you want to load the third font, but not bother with a palette, use: FONT *f; char *names[] = { "FONT_3_DATA", NULL } f = load_dat_font("fonts.dat", NULL, names); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the font or NULL on error. Remember that you are responsible for destroying the font when you are finished with it to avoid memory leaks. SEE ALSO
register_font_file_type(3alleg4), load_font(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 load_dat_font(3alleg4)