Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Case Contruct Problem user input Post 302637993 by jcnewton13 on Wednesday 9th of May 2012 04:35:10 PM
Old 05-09-2012
That worked perfectly

weird how something so simple, can cause such headaches to a beginner.

thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while taking input from User

Hi All, I am facing a problem while taking input from user in Shell Script. Basically , I want to read a file line by line. And I want to remove certain lines of that file.But before removing those lines , I need to ask the user whether user wants to remove the lines. If user inputs "Yes" , the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swapnil.nawale
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting Input regardless of Case

Hi I am trying to get my script to accept input regardless if the person enters a or A. here is the portion of the code where I get the input. echo -n 'Please enter your choice:' # prompt user for input. read reply # read input echo case $reply in #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DualPandas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect input within case statement?

I'm trying to run the logic below but get a `<' is not matched error message when I return a Y or y; printf "Run this ? : " read RESP case $RESP in Y|y) cat <<EOF > file today is Monday EOF ;; N|n) exit 1 ;; esac Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

!!VERY URGENT!! Trouble in getting user input, while using under CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore case(upper and lower) from user input?

Hi, In my script it takes the input from the user. i.e. sys or system. How can i make it case insensitive in my code. if || ; then echo "valid" Any help is appreciated. Thanks, priya (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya001
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read user keyboard input inside the case?

I need to Write a shell script that allows some system-administration tasks to be preformed automatically from a menu-driven interface. with automated following tasks: Copy directory tree Delete files or directories Output Information (this part is done ) *Copy directory tree The “Copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading user input...problem with tab key

Hi all, I have a little problem with my shell script (reading user input, save user input to variable, invisible characters in the log file :() printf "1. What's your file path?" /path/to/my/file read -e FILE I have invisible characters in my log file (e.g. <ESC> or ^G) when I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: splendid
3 Replies
DICTION(1)							   User commands							DICTION(1)

NAME
diction - print wordy and commonly misused phrases in sentences SYNOPSIS
diction [-b] [-d] [-f file [-n|-L language]] [file...] diction [--beginner] [--ignore-double-words] [--file file [--no-default-file|--language language]] [file...] diction -h|--help diction --version DESCRIPTION
Diction finds all sentences in a document that contain phrases from a database of frequently misused, bad or wordy diction. It further checks for double words. If no files are given, the document is read from standard input. Each found phrase is enclosed in [ ] (brack- ets). Suggestions and advice, if any and if asked for, are printed headed by a right arrow ->. A sentence is a sequence of words, that starts with a capitalised word and ends with a full stop, double colon, question mark or exclaimation mark. A single letter followed by a dot is considered an abbreviation, so it does not terminate a sentence. Various multi-letter abbreviations are recognized, they do not terminate a sentence as well, neither do fractional numbers. Diction understands cpp(1) #line lines for being able to give precise locations when printing sentences. OPTIONS
-b, --beginner Complain about mistakes typically made by beginners. -d, --ignore-double-words Ignore double words and do not complain about them. -s, --suggest Suggest better wording, if any. -f file, --file file Read the user specified database from the specified file in addition to the default database. -n, --no-default-file Do not read the default database, so only the user-specified database is used. -L language, --language language Set the phrase file language. -h, --help Print a short usage message. --version Print the version. ERRORS
On usage errors, 1 is returned. Termination caused by lack of memory is signalled by exit code 2. EXAMPLE
The following example first removes all roff constructs and headers from a document and feeds the result to diction with a German database: deroff -s file.mm | diction -L de | fmt ENVIRONMENT
LC_MESSAGES=de|en specifies the message language and is also used as default for the phrase language. The default language is en. FILES
/usr/share/diction/* databases for various languages AUTHOR
This program is GNU software, copyright 1997-2005 Michael Haardt <michael@moria.de>. The English phrase file contains contributions by Greg Lindahl <lindahl@pbm.com>, Wil Baden, Gary D. Kline, Kimberly Hanks and Beth Morris. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. HISTORY
There has been a diction command on old UNIX systems, which is now part of the AT&T DWB package. The original version was bound to roff by enforcing a call to deroff. This version is a reimplementation and must run in a pipe with deroff(1) if you want to process roff docu- ments. Similarly, you can run it in a pipe with dehtml(1) or detex(1) to process HTML or TeX documents. SEE ALSO
deroff(1), fmt(1), style(1) Cherry, L.L.; Vesterman, W.: Writing Tools--The STYLE and DICTION programs, Computer Science Technical Report 91, Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, N.J. (1981), republished as part of the 4.4BSD User's Supplementary Documents by O'Reilly. Strunk, William: The elements of style, Ithaca, N.Y.: Priv. print., 1918, http://coba.shsu.edu/help/strunk/ GNU
June 09, 2006 DICTION(1)