Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX memory issue
Operating Systems AIX AIX memory issue Post 302636281 by bakunin on Monday 7th of May 2012 08:51:07 AM
Old 05-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnbash
Actually my main concern is why buffer is 21gb
I will try to put it simple, so the experts might see some detail missing in order to make it easier to understand.

It so, because you told the system (see the values of "maxperm%" and "minperm%" in the output of vmo -F -a) to preserve a certain amount of memory as free. The rest is first used for programs. When all the programs are loaded and there is still some of this memory available then this will be assigned to caching I/O-operations (this is your "buffer memory"). This assignment is temporary in nature and as soon as there is a program to be started an according amount of memory will be taken away from this buffer memory and given to the program. If some program ends, on the other hand, its memory will not be simply "free" (which means unused), but given to the buffer memory as long as it isn't needed elsewhere.

If you want to reduce buffer memory (which will probably have no adverse effects as far as i can tell) decrease the size of the assigned memory of the LPAR on the HMC profile. This will reduce the size of available memory after fulfilling all the programs requests and therefore less memory will be assigned to I/O-buffers.

Also investigate - together with the DBA! - the possibility of enlarging the SGA. To be honest i wonder how you get away with this much free memory without having the DBA pestering you to get it. In my experience they are a memory-hogging lot.

Btw., as i said before, the system is probably overpowered with respect to the physical CPUs assigned to it too. You might want to investigate possibilities to shrink that back to a sensible amount.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Memory Issue

Hi There, I have upgraded the DELL poweredge 2600 server memory from 2GB to 4GB. However, the memory only showed at 2GB of utilization. How to make sure that the server is full utilize of 4GB of memory. Is there the Virtual memory need to be reconfigure as this server is run on windows 2000 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestro
2 Replies

2. Linux

Memory issue while diff !!!

Hi All Any idea? why am I having this memory issue? perforce@ixca-pforce-bak:/home/p4-demo-root$ diff checkpoint_offline ../p4-demo-root2/checkpoint.1150 diff: memory exhausted Thanks a lot C Saha (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
0 Replies

3. AIX

Shared memory issue

Hi friends.. Help to solve this issue... Is there any parameter setting to control or limit the size of the shared memory a process can attach for the below specified environment? The man pages says it can attach upto segments of size 2GB. But when our process (which also connects to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdspawankumar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Locked memory issue

One of our project has exceeded its assigned max-memory-locked by 3 times .. The said project is using around 9 gigs as described by rss parameter in prstat -J .. and the max-project-memory parameter has been defined as 3gigs .. is it normal or we are monitoring the project memory usage in wrong... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

5. AIX

Memory consumption issue in AIX box

Hi, monitor memory usage on AIX machine on any day of the week from 3:00 PM ET to 5:00 PM ET - Povide min and max memory consumption. Determine if all of the available memory is visible to the operating system. If it is not, determine the amount of memory which may be allocated to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rookie_newbie
3 Replies

6. SuSE

Memory utilization issue

I have parallels container running on Suse. From top command, I am not able to see, what is eating up so big amount of memory. top - 07:44:24 up 172 days, 18:52, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00 Tasks: 44 total, 1 running, 43 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu(s): 0.0%us, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

7. AIX

Memory issue

I have a server with 300Gb allocated to it. Some times I observed in topas Comp% 73 and Non comp 35% and client is also 35% and my paging is showing 92%. If my physical memory utilized only 70% then why paging is so high. And what is relation between Comp, noncomp and client? If the memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powerAIX
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Memory Issue

I could not find what is consuming the memory, generated DSET reports and NO hardware wise memory issue. 64 GB RAM on a server yet all I could see is a very limited memory available. I am not sure if I am reading this correct or not. I have used free -t -m and cat /proc/meminfo (results below)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
3 Replies

9. Linux

Swap memory issue

Hi, In our production box i can see the Swap space using the below command free total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 65963232 41041084 24922148 0 877160 35936292 -/+ buffers/cache: 4227632 61735600 Swap: 4192880 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Out of memory issue in perl

I am getting a out of memory issue while executing the perl program. Per version : /opt/acc_perl/lib/site_perl/5.14.2 Read in 54973 total records Read in 54973 table records from table. Out of memory! so the job get failed due to out of memory. need to get rid of the out of memory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
3 Replies
memtester(8)						       Maintenance Commands						      memtester(8)

NAME
memtester - stress test to find memory subsystem faults. SYNOPSIS
memtester [-p PHYSADDR] <MEMORY> [ITERATIONS] DESCRIPTION
memtester is an effective userspace tester for stress-testing the memory subsystem. It is very effective at finding intermittent and non- deterministic faults. Note that problems in other hardware areas (overheating CPU, out-of-specification power supply, etc.) can cause intermittent memory faults, so it is still up to you to determine where the fault lies through normal hardware diagnostic procedures; memtester just helps you determine whether a problem exists. memtester will malloc(3) the amount of memory specified, if possible. If this fails, it will decrease the amount of memory requested until it succeeds. It will then attempt to mlock(3) this memory; if it cannot do so, testing will be slower and much less effective. Run memtester as root so that it can mlock the memory it tests. Note that the maximum amount of memory that memtester can test will be less than the total amount of memory installed in the system; the operating system, libraries, and other system limits take some of the available memory. memtester is also limited to the amount of memory available to a single process; for example, on 32-bit machines with more than 4GB of memory, memtester is still limited to less than 4GB. Note that it is up to you to know how much memory you can safely allocate for testing. If you attempt to allocate more memory than is available, memtester should figure that out, reduce the amount slightly, and try again. However, this can lead to memtester successfully allocating and mlocking essentially all free memory on the system -- if other programs are running, this can lead to excessive swapping and slowing the system down to the point that it is difficult to use. If the system allows allocation of more memory than is actually avail- able (overcommit), it may lead to a deadlock, where the system halts. If the system has an out-of-memory process killer (like Linux), memtester or another process may be killed by the OOM killer. So choose wisely. OPTIONS
-p PHYSADDR tells memtester to test a specific region of memory starting at physical address PHYSADDR (given in hex), by mmap(2)ing /dev/mem. This is mostly of use to hardware developers, for testing memory-mapped I/O devices and similar. Note that the memory region will be overwritten during testing, so it is not safe to specify memory which is allocated for the system or for other applications; doing so will cause them to crash. If you absolutely must test a particular region of actual physical memory, arrange to have that memory allocated by your test software, and hold it in this allocated state, then run memtester on it with this option. MEMORY the amount of memory to allocate and test, in megabytes by default. You can include a suffix of B, K, M, or G to indicate bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes respectively. ITERATIONS (optional) number of loops to iterate through. Default is infinite. NOTE
memtester must be run with root privileges to mlock(3) its pages. Testing memory without locking the pages in place is mostly pointless and slow. EXIT CODE
memtester's exit code is 0 when everything works properly. Otherwise, it is the logical OR of the following values: x01 error allocating or locking memory, or invocation error x02 error during stuck address test x04 error during one of the other tests AUTHOR
Written by Charles Cazabon. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <charlesc-memtester-bugs@pyropus.ca>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Charles Cazabon This is free software; see the file COPYING for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. memtester 4 July 2009 memtester(8)