Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basename in subshell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basename in subshell Post 302635791 by agama on Sunday 6th of May 2012 09:02:29 AM
Old 05-06-2012
If I understand what you are trying to do, this is the way I would have approached it:

Code:
find . -type f| while read f
do
    grep -l "${f##*/}" "$f"
done

Searches all regular files in all directories in and below the current directory and prints files whose contents contain the filename. Should work with file names that have spaces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subshell Question

The profile of the user is empty. Then before I run the script I want I run a parameter file that populates the variables for oracle. ORACLE_HOME ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_SID PATH etc ... But it seems that these variables are not making it to the shell I am in because when I do an echo on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename $0

hi, can anyone help me by saying what is basename.. i have seen this in many programs where the basename is used.... thanks, Krips (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basename

Hi, can anyone let me know how to interpret the below third line in the following code. Gone through the man pages of "basename", but no go. for f in *.foo; do base=`basename $f .foo` mv $f $base.bar done Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a subshell

I am calling a script from with another script and reading its output one line at a time (using <childscript> | while read line) in the parent script. If the output exceeds a predefined number of lines I want to kill the child shell from within the parent shell. I decided to print the process ID... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slash_blog
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts in a subshell

Hello, I've a little problem with one of my ksh scripts and I manage to narrow it to the script here: #!/bin/ksh writeLog() { paramHandle="unknown" OPTIND=1 while getopts :i: option $* do case $option in i) paramHandle=${OPTARG} ;; esac done echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dahu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

$(basename $0)

what is the meaning of "script_name=$(basename $0)", can someone please explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi200389
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop subshell problem

People, Here is my code while read ln do xyz=$(echo $ln/$val1*100-100|bc -l|xargs printf "%1.0f\n") if && ; then iam="YELLOW" fi done <<< "$(grep "^" $TMPOUT)" where $TMPOUT is a flat file which contains a set of values. Whilst executing the above, I get an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts in the subshell of ksh

Hi, the getopts doesnt seem to be working in the subshell of the ksh. when I echo $@ and $* from the subshell it shows nothing. even when I am capturing the parameters from the outer shell and passing while invoking the file then I am still not getting it properly. the below code is in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a command in subshell

Hi All, I am trying to create a shell script which runs on my linux machine. The requirement is so that, ade createview xyz -> this steps creates a view ade useview xyz -> we are entering inside the view ade begintrans -> begin a transaction My script has following code : lets say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dish
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How will these subshell commands behave?

Hello, I am firing off some scripts from a main script, cd B/ ./EV_B_m0-m200_hex1.sh & ./EV_B_m0-m200_hex2.sh & wait ...more It would be useful to put a bit of time between the two to clean up the output to the terminal. I think this would work, cd B/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies
GENBACKUPDATA(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GENBACKUPDATA(1)

NAME
genbackupdata - generate backup test data SYNOPSIS
genbackupdata [--chunk-size=SIZE] [--config=FILE] [-c=SIZE] [--create=SIZE] [--depth=DEPTH] [--dump-config] [--dump-setting-names] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--max-files=MAX-FILES] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--quiet] [--seed=SEED] [--version] DESCRIPTION
genbackupdata generates test data sets for performance testing of backup software. It creates a directory tree filled with files of dif- ferent sizes. The total size and the distribution of sizes between small and big are configurable. The program can also modify an exist- ing directory tree by creating new files, and deleting, renaming, or modifying existing files. This can be used to generate test data for successive generations of backups. The program is deterministic: with a given set of parameters (and a given pre-existing directory tree), it always creates the same output. This way, it is possible to reproduce backup tests exactly, without having to distribute the potentially very large test sets. The data set consists of plain files and directories. Files are either small text files or big binary files. Text files contain the "lorem ipsum" stanza, binary files contain randomly generated byte streams. The percentage of file data that is small text or big binary files can be set, as can the sizes of the respective file types. Files and directories are named "fileXXXX" or "dirXXXX", where "XXXX" is a successive integer, separate successions for files and directo- ries. There is an upper limit to how many files a directory may contain. After the file limit is reached, a new sub-directory is created. The first set of files go into the root directory of the test set. You have to give one of the options --create, --delete, --rename, or --modify for the program to do anything. You can, however, give more than one of them, if DIR already exists. (Giving the same option more than once means that only the last instance is counted.) (DIR) is created if it doesn't exist already. OPTIONS
--chunk-size=SIZE generate data in chunks of this size (default: 16384) --config=FILE add FILE to config files -c, --create=SIZE how much data to create (default: 0) --depth=DEPTH depth of directory tree (default: 3) --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --file-size=SIZE size of one file (default: 16384) --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --max-files=MAX-FILES max files/dirs per dir (default: 128) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --quiet do not report progress --seed=SEED seed for random number generator (default: 0) --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLES
Create data for the first generation of a backup: genbackupdata --create=10G testdir Modify an existing set of backup data to create a new generation: genbackupdata -c 5% -d 2% -m 5% -r 0.5% testdir The above command can be run for each new generation. GENBACKUPDATA(1)