Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is this a typo in my Book?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is this a typo in my Book? Post 302635549 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 5th of May 2012 10:41:57 AM
Old 05-05-2012
You are using are the wrong kind of double quotes. Either you copied it from somewhere instead of typing it at the keyboard, or typed it in Microsoft Word or something.
Code:
$ file=“states”      # these are the wrong quotes
$ echo "$file"
“states”
$ file="states"      # these are the right quotes
$ echo "$file"
states

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

e-book

Hi everybody I a new one And I have just wanted to research on Sun Solaris So can you help me what e-book to read ( and if can you give me the direct address to load ) Thks so much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwbasts
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Command Line Typo -- Can't Get Out

Hi Sorry to post a bit of an "I'm an idiot" post, but I did a typing error and typed "ls 'l" instead of "ls -l". This seems to have made me enter some sort of mode or other that I can't seem to be able to get out of. The new line prompt is > (if that helps). Sorry for posting such a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viola
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Typo in man file??

Hi is it me or is there a typo in the Sun Solaris man page for ps. I thought the option for listing a process by PID was just -p but on the clearcase server at work it reads: - -ps proclist Lists only process data whose process ID numbers are given in proclist.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typo in sample script from book?

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I apologize in advance if I did something wrong here. I am pretty stumped here as I am still getting the error message, "./comc1.sh: test: argument expected." after executing the script itself. Here's the script file I modified: I tried executing line 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
1 Replies

5. Programming

Which C++ book do you recommend?

Hello, May be my post may look naive to many...but it isn't if you were to believe me.After, trying to learn programming in C for at least 5 years , I concluded that K & R is the best book to learn C, alas I took a lot of time to realize this. So, I'm going to start learning how to program... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackwhite
8 Replies
FETCH-EBOOK-METADATA(1) 					      calibre						   FETCH-EBOOK-METADATA(1)

NAME
fetch-ebook-metadata - part of calibre SYNOPSIS
fetch-ebook-metadata [options] DESCRIPTION
Fetch book metadata from online sources. You must specify at least one of title, author, publisher or ISBN. If you specify ISBN, the others are ignored. Whenever you pass arguments to fetch-ebook-metadata that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks. OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h, --help show this help message and exit -t, --title Book title -a, --author Book author(s) -p, --publisher Book publisher -i, --isbn Book ISBN -m, --max-results Maximum number of results to fetch -k, --isbndb-key The access key for your ISBNDB.com account. Only needed if you want to search isbndb.com and you haven't customized the IsbnDB plug- in. -v, --verbose Be more verbose about errors SEE ALSO
The User Manual is available at http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual Created by Kovid Goyal <kovid@kovidgoyal.net> fetch-ebook-metadata (calibre 0.6.53) July 2010 FETCH-EBOOK-METADATA(1)