Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ifconfig hme0 plumb not working Post 302635517 by juan.brein on Saturday 5th of May 2012 08:31:44 AM
Old 05-05-2012
Don't worry about hme0/e1000g0, They are just "names" that identify network interfaces. hme0 is generally used on SPARC Hw. Depending the NIC card you have, the driver you use, then the name you use to configure a network interface. There are many other different names like qfe or ge for instance.

Cheers

Juan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hme0 babble -- ?

Dear Reader, I have a very unique problem. Quite often my on board ethernet port( hme0 ) related message is appearing in /var/adm/messages. The message is hme0: babble.. The port is up and alive. What does this message mean.. Is the on board port is about to fail?? Thanks in advance, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hme0 interfaces...

How do you configure more than one network on a single hme0 interface under SunOS? And why would you want to do this? Thanx :) -Michelle (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michelle1977
1 Replies

3. Solaris

hme0 problem after reboot

Hi ..... My problem is that when i reboot the system i can't connect to the network because my ethernet ( hme0 ) is down , i must up it by ifconfig command after reboot : # ifconfig -a lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tt155
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Before plumb the network interface.....

I know that I could use the #ifconfig hme0 plumb to activate the network interface. However, how can I know the name of the interface e.g. hme0 before I could use the ifconfig to plumb it up? I know there is a command (but I forgot it) to use in the Sparc version when you are in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heero
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Network Interface hme1 to hme0

I have sun solaris 9 installed but I have the interface configured to hme1 instead of hme0, our default value. Is there a way where i can rename the existing/working hme1 to hme0...? I want to showup the hmeo up if i say ifconfig -a.. rite now i see the hme1 up.. please advice if possible... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintedwindow
4 Replies

6. Solaris

sun 420r hme0 not responding

I have a 420r server it boots up all of the network settings are correct, however the machines network connection is not working. Cant ping anything from it, cant ping it from another machine on the network. If I ping 127.0.0.1 it says alive. Is there a chance the network card has been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanj4
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ifconfig -a not working

Hi All, I logged into a sun microsystems server box, using both a vnc session and a ssh session. I am able to use "ifconfig -a" in a ssh session, but the same on a vnc session says that its a invalid command. how is this possible, when i am logging into the same box through two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pardhuhere
4 Replies

8. Solaris

cannot plumb nxge on T5240

its a fresh installation. during the OS setup, it did not prompt for IP, netmask and gateway. using Solaris 10 08/07 update 4. I tried to plumb manually but encountered no such interface error. but nxge interfaces can be greped from the /etc/path_to_inst file. getting similar error on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
3 Replies

9. Solaris

SUNW, hme0: Link Down - Cable problem

Ultra E150 Solaris 2.5.1 Oracle server. was working fine, then started losing network connection. I can see in messages file that it was complaining about another device using its ip address. Though not any longer, though I wonder if that was a red herring. My IT guys have now re-reserved its ip... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlSmith1964
29 Replies

10. Solaris

ifconfig ge0 plumb

Hello Folks, can anyone please help me with this ?! :wall: I'm using Solaris 10 with Sun V880 which has two Networks Interfaces, a Fiber (ge0) and a cooper (eri0). The eri0 is working great but when I try to plumb the ge0 interface ... # ifconfig ge0 plumb ifconfig: cannot open link... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxb368@motorola
18 Replies
nodename(4)							   File Formats 						       nodename(4)

NAME
nodename - local source for system name SYNOPSIS
/etc/nodename DESCRIPTION
When a machine is standalone or its IP address is configured locally, the /etc/nodename file contains the system name. By convention, the system name is the same as the hostname associated with the IP address of the primary network interface, for example, hostname.hme0. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the RPC bootparams protocol, the /etc/nodename file is not used, as the system name is delivered by the remote service. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. If the machine's network configuration is delivered by the DHCP protocol, the /etc/nodename file is used only if the DHCP server does not provide a value for the Hostname option (DHCP standard option code 12). A system name configured in /etc/nodename should be unique within the system's name service domain in order to ensure that any network ser- vices provided by the system will operate correctly. Given a system name value, regardless of source, the uname utility invoked with the -S option is used to set the system name of the running system. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Syntax The syntax for nodename consists of a single line containing the system's name. For example, for a system named myhost: myhost ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), uname(1), named(1M), ypbind(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The nodename file is modified by Solaris installation and de-installation scripts. SunOS 5.10 9 Feb 2004 nodename(4)