Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ifconfig hme0 plumb not working Post 302635517 by juan.brein on Saturday 5th of May 2012 08:31:44 AM
Old 05-05-2012
Don't worry about hme0/e1000g0, They are just "names" that identify network interfaces. hme0 is generally used on SPARC Hw. Depending the NIC card you have, the driver you use, then the name you use to configure a network interface. There are many other different names like qfe or ge for instance.

Cheers

Juan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

hme0 babble -- ?

Dear Reader, I have a very unique problem. Quite often my on board ethernet port( hme0 ) related message is appearing in /var/adm/messages. The message is hme0: babble.. The port is up and alive. What does this message mean.. Is the on board port is about to fail?? Thanks in advance, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hme0 interfaces...

How do you configure more than one network on a single hme0 interface under SunOS? And why would you want to do this? Thanx :) -Michelle (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michelle1977
1 Replies

3. Solaris

hme0 problem after reboot

Hi ..... My problem is that when i reboot the system i can't connect to the network because my ethernet ( hme0 ) is down , i must up it by ifconfig command after reboot : # ifconfig -a lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tt155
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Before plumb the network interface.....

I know that I could use the #ifconfig hme0 plumb to activate the network interface. However, how can I know the name of the interface e.g. hme0 before I could use the ifconfig to plumb it up? I know there is a command (but I forgot it) to use in the Sparc version when you are in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heero
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Network Interface hme1 to hme0

I have sun solaris 9 installed but I have the interface configured to hme1 instead of hme0, our default value. Is there a way where i can rename the existing/working hme1 to hme0...? I want to showup the hmeo up if i say ifconfig -a.. rite now i see the hme1 up.. please advice if possible... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintedwindow
4 Replies

6. Solaris

sun 420r hme0 not responding

I have a 420r server it boots up all of the network settings are correct, however the machines network connection is not working. Cant ping anything from it, cant ping it from another machine on the network. If I ping 127.0.0.1 it says alive. Is there a chance the network card has been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanj4
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ifconfig -a not working

Hi All, I logged into a sun microsystems server box, using both a vnc session and a ssh session. I am able to use "ifconfig -a" in a ssh session, but the same on a vnc session says that its a invalid command. how is this possible, when i am logging into the same box through two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pardhuhere
4 Replies

8. Solaris

cannot plumb nxge on T5240

its a fresh installation. during the OS setup, it did not prompt for IP, netmask and gateway. using Solaris 10 08/07 update 4. I tried to plumb manually but encountered no such interface error. but nxge interfaces can be greped from the /etc/path_to_inst file. getting similar error on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
3 Replies

9. Solaris

SUNW, hme0: Link Down - Cable problem

Ultra E150 Solaris 2.5.1 Oracle server. was working fine, then started losing network connection. I can see in messages file that it was complaining about another device using its ip address. Though not any longer, though I wonder if that was a red herring. My IT guys have now re-reserved its ip... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlSmith1964
29 Replies

10. Solaris

ifconfig ge0 plumb

Hello Folks, can anyone please help me with this ?! :wall: I'm using Solaris 10 with Sun V880 which has two Networks Interfaces, a Fiber (ge0) and a cooper (eri0). The eri0 is working great but when I try to plumb the ge0 interface ... # ifconfig ge0 plumb ifconfig: cannot open link... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxb368@motorola
18 Replies
ifup(8) 																   ifup(8)

NAME
ifup - bring a network interface up ifdown - take a network interface down SYNOPSIS
ifup [-nv] [--no-act] [--verbose] [-i FILE|--interfaces=FILE] [--allow CLASS] -a|IFACE... ifup -h|--help ifup -V|--version ifdown [-nv] [--no-act] [--verbose] [-i FILE|--interfaces=FILE] [--allow CLASS] -a|IFACE... DESCRIPTION
The ifup and ifdown commands may be used to configure (or, respectively, deconfigure) network interfaces based on interface definitions in the file /etc/network/interfaces. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -a, --all If given to ifup, affect all interfaces marked auto. Interfaces are brought up in the order in which they are defined in /etc/net- work/interfaces. If given to ifdown, affect all defined interfaces. Interfaces are brought down in the order in which they are currently listed in the state file. Only interfaces defined in /etc/network/interfaces will be brought down. --force Force configuration or deconfiguration of the interface. -h, --help Show summary of options. --allow=CLASS Only allow interfaces listed in an allow-CLASS line in /etc/network/interfaces to be acted upon. -i FILE, --interfaces=FILE Read interface definitions from FILE instead of from /etc/network/interfaces. -e PATTERN, --exclude=PATTERN Exclude interfaces from the list of interfaces to operate on by the PATTERN. Notice that the PATTERN can be a full interface name or substrings that match interfaces. Users could easily have unexpected behaviour if they use a small string to do the match. -n, --no-act Don't configure any interfaces or run any "up" or "down" commands. --no-mappings Don't run any mappings. See interfaces(5) for more information about the mapping feature. -V, --version Show copyright and version information. -v, --verbose Show commands as they are executed. EXAMPLES
ifup -a Bring up all the interfaces defined with auto in /etc/network/interfaces ifup eth0 Bring up interface eth0 ifup eth0=home Bring up interface eth0 as logical interface home ifdown -a Bring down all interfaces that are currently up. NOTES
ifup and ifdown are actually the same program called by different names. The program does not configure network interfaces directly; it runs low level utilities such as ip to do its dirty work. FILES
/etc/network/interfaces definitions of network interfaces See interfaces(5) for more information. /var/run/network/ifstate current state of network interfaces KNOWN BUGS
/LIMITATIONS The program keeps records of whether network interfaces are up or down. Under exceptional circumstances these records can become inconsis- tent with the real states of the interfaces. For example, an interface that was brought up using ifup and later deconfigured using ifcon- fig will still be recorded as up. To fix this you can use the --force option to force ifup or ifdown to run configuration or deconfigura- tion commands despite what it considers the current state of the interface to be. The file /var/run/network/ifstate must be writable for ifup or ifdown to work properly. On Ubuntu the /var/run location is a temporary filesystem which is always writable and thrown away on shutdown. You can also use the --force option to run configuration or deconfigura- tion commands without updating the file. Note that the program does not run automatically: ifup alone does not bring up interfaces that appear as a result of hardware being installed and ifdown alone does not bring down interfaces that disappear as a result of hardware being removed. To automate the configura- tion of network interfaces you need to install other packages such as hotplug(8) or ifplugd(8). AUTHOR
The ifupdown suite was written by Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>. SEE ALSO
interfaces(5), ip(8), ifconfig(8). IFUPDOWN
22 May 2004 ifup(8)