Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Using tail with the filter command Post 302635399 by birei on Friday 4th of May 2012 06:53:51 PM
Old 05-04-2012
@hbell221:

Of course:

tail -7 /etc/passwd ---> Get last seven lines from file /etc/passwd
cut -d: --output-delimiter=--- -f1,3-4,7 ---> Split line with colon, select fields 1, 3, 4 and 7, and print them separated by '---'
pr -tn --indent=2 ---> You had used it in your attempt: omit header, print line number and the indent was an attempt to print numbers near the text.

@methyl:

Arch Linux.
Code:
$ uname -mosr
Linux 3.3.4-1-ARCH i686 GNU/Linux

Last edited by methyl; 05-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Separate commands from text with icode tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help with !(tail -2) command.. using pipes

I am trying to using pipe (|) with ! (not) operator to list all the other files except the latest two and I am using the following command. $ ls -ltr *.lst|!(tail -2) ksh: 20050211180252.lst: cannot execute but it is trying to execute the file returned by tail -2. I am able to do that in 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command

Hi , I have found a interesting thing about tail command: when I tried to use 'tail -1 *' to look at every file with the current derectory, I only got one line of result of one file. But if I use 'head -1 *', I would get multiple lines. Is there a way to do get multiple lines with 'tail -1 *'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command..

I was wondering how can I do this I have file myfile.txt wc -l is: 5 000 000 I have to remove first 1 000 000 lines from header.. I tryed with tail -4000000 myfile.txt>newfile.txt but it does not work... any help?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Tail command in one line

HI i have to copy the last 5000 lines form a log file and copy the same in the same file .overwriting the same log file. ex: tail -5000 testfile1 > testfile2 cat testfile2 mv tesftfile2 testfile1 will produce the correct result.but i want to have this done in one line???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tail command

Hi All, My query seems to be silly but Iam unable to find where the exact problem lies. I have a script to unzip set of files here is the script #!/bin/ksh Count=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile | wc -l` while do Filename=`cat /home/gaddamja/Tempfile |tail -$Count | head -1` cd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to alert if no output from tail -f command

Hi Dears, I am using AWK script to monitor some log files. My awk will get the input from the output of tail -f LOGFILE. (tail -f LOGFILE | myawkanalyzer) My doubt is, How can I notify, if I didn't get any output from the tail -f command. i.e) Log file stuck for some reason. I want to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command problems

Hi, In my home directory, there are so many files. i tried to get the lastly created file by following command. file=`ls -lrt MXOfiles* | tail -1` As there are so many files, it displays "$ : 0403-027 The parameter list is too long." Can someone tell me how can i get the recent file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail command help

Hi does anyone know how to create a file using the tail command? My book has this file I need to create and it says to use the tail command and that it is possible but I have no idea. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
4 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Usage of tail command in .awk

Hi, I want to do file format using awk script, for that i wan to use 'tail'. Here is the scenario. I will be having set of files in a directory. Those files i need to write to another directory with same file name, but while writing the file to out directory, i need to write the last line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkata Madhu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tail -f Command help

Hi Team, Can anyone help me here: I have to access server logs via putty and these logs file is a trailing file (continously updating) with ERROR and WARNINGS... I need to know if I can pull this trailing file to a local drive so that I can do some higlighting on some keywords through Notepad... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitensetia
13 Replies
MESSAGES(3)						  libbash messages Library Manual					       MESSAGES(3)

NAME
messages -- libbash library that implements a set of functions to print standard status messages SYNOPSIS
printOK [indent] printFAIL [indent] printNA [indent] printATTN [indent] printWAIT [indent] DESCRIPTION
General messages is a collection of functions to print standard status messages - those [ OK ] and [FAIL] messages you see during Linux boot process. The function list: printOK Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) Detailed interface description follows. indent Column to move to before printing. Default indent is calculated as TTY_WIDTH-10. If current tty width can not be determined (for example, in case of serial console), it defaults to 80, so default indent is 80-10=10 FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
printOK [indent] Prints a standard [ OK ] message (green) printFAIL [indent] Prints a standard [FAIL] message (red) printNA [indent] Prints a standard [ N/A] message (yellow) printATTN [indent] Prints a standard [ATTN] message (yellow) printWAIT [indent] Prints a standard [WAIT] message (yellow) EXAMPLES
Run a program named MyProg, and report it's success or failure: echo -n 'Running MyProg...' printWAIT if MyProg ; then printOK else printFAIL fi AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux