Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs vs. pipe
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers xargs vs. pipe Post 302635153 by guessingo on Friday 4th of May 2012 10:08:49 AM
Old 05-04-2012
xargs vs. pipe

I have been using unix on and off for a number of years. I am not a sys admin. I use what I need. I have googled this, but I really can't figure out what is the difference between using xarg and just using a regular pipe? Why do I need to include xarg sometimes and how do I know when I need it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Removing a filename which has special characters passed from a pipe with xargs

Hi, On AIX 5200-07-00 I have a find command as following to delete files from a certain location that are more than 7 days old. I am being told that I cannot use -exec option to delete files from these directories. Having said that I am more curious to know how this can be done. an sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xargs

hi i just want to know that how do we use xargs command to find files which are greater than specified memory in a given directory (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe to "xargs rm" : filename with spaces

Hi all, Am piping a list of files to "xargs rm -v". The files may have spaces in their names. Please advise how do i deal with it... :confused: Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

hi Could any one please tell me the option using which we can run multiple commands using xargs I have list of files, I want to run dos2unix and chmod at one shot on them I tried google n searched man pages but couldnt really find the solution , please help right now im doing this ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace pipe with Broken Pipe

Hi All , Is there any way to replace the pipe ( | ) with the broken pipe (0xA6) in unix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

7. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe output a command to another using xargs

xargs work great when a command gives multiple line output which can be input to another. In my case it is not working coz the second command uses two words in it. $ scr.sh gives output like 193740 638102 375449 .. .. another command takes these number as inputs. it works great... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahesh113
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs

Hello, I need some help with xargs $ ls aaa bbb ccc ddd$ ls | xargs -I{} ls -la {} -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 aaa -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 bbb -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 ccc -rw-rw-r--. 1 xxx xx 0 May 30 20:04 dddit's possible to have output like this with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies
shares-admin(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   shares-admin(1)

NAME
shares-admin - Shared Folders Administration Tool SYNOPSIS
shares-admin [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
shares-admin is part of the GNOME system tools, a set of tools to easily access and manage system configuration. shares-admin allows you to share folders to other computers in your network or in the internet. OPTIONS
shares-admin accepts the standard GNOME and GTK options. AUTHORS
shares-admin was written by Carlos Garnacho Parro <garnacho@tuxerver.net> and others. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
services-admin(1), network-admin(1), time-admin(1), users-admin(1), gtk-options(7), gnome-options(7) The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2007-05-08 shares-admin(1)