Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX6.1 Remove file descriptor from specified process Post 302635093 by KrzysiekPi on Friday 4th of May 2012 08:59:24 AM
Old 05-04-2012
AIX6.1 Remove file descriptor from specified process

Hi,

How to release file description area from specified process.

Problem is that process started - open one file ( ~2GB ) - file has been removed - process still shown that file is used by process and can't release space on filesystem.

It is not allowable to kill process !!!

Regs,
Krzysztof

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. Programming

Problems with file descriptor

Hi, look at the following code: The client after estabilishing a connection with the server does the following: if ((peter = fopen(argv, "r")) == NULL){ printf("errore\n"); exit(0); } ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: teo
11 Replies

4. Programming

File descriptor constant

I have a requirement to close all the file descriptors from 3 to 1024 for a particular application. Right now, this is how I do it .. for ( int i = 3 ; i <= 1024; ++i ) close(i); The change I am looking at is, I want to do away with the number 1024 and replace it with a constant which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to gunzip .tgz file in AIX6.1

Hi guys, This is my 1st post here. I tried to Google around but failed to get my solution. So I hope you guys could help me. (I have just a basic unix background for 2years so I'm sorry if im asking stupid questions) OS - Aix 6.1, 64 bits. Server - currently I only have telnet access to a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pilotHans
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Close file descriptor without terminating process

Can any help me in finding the way to close opened file descriptor in Solaris ,without killing process. As accidently a file was removed which was opened by a process. Much thanks in advance :) (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitj
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dup2 - for file descriptor opened by a different process

is it possible to duplicate file descriptors(opened by a different process) with the help of dup or dup2. the two process do not share parent child relationship as well. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replytoshishir
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Bad exchange descriptor : not able to remove files under zpool

Hi , One of my zone went down and when i booted it up i could see the pool in degraded state with some check sum errors . we have brought the pool online after scrubbing. But few files are showing this error Bad exchange descriptor Please let me know how to remove these files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies
SETSID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETSID(2)

NAME
setsid - creates a session and sets the process group ID SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t setsid(void); DESCRIPTION
setsid() creates a new session if the calling process is not a process group leader. The calling process is the leader of the new session, the process group leader of the new process group, and has no controlling tty. The process group ID and session ID of the calling process are set to the PID of the calling process. The calling process will be the only process in this new process group and in this new session. RETURN VALUE
On success, the (new) session ID of the calling process is returned. On error, (pid_t) -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EPERM The process group ID of any process equals the PID of the calling process. Thus, in particular, setsid() fails if the calling process is already a process group leader. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
A child created via fork(2) inherits its parent's session ID. The session ID is preserved across an execve(2). A process group leader is a process with process group ID equal to its PID. In order to be sure that setsid() will succeed, fork(2) and _exit(2), and have the child do setsid(). SEE ALSO
getsid(2), setpgid(2), setpgrp(2), tcgetsid(3), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 SETSID(2)