Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with setting vi as my default editor in ksh Post 302634495 by ramesh12621 on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 11:59:52 AM
Old 05-03-2012
Hi Vbe,

Thanks for the reply,But still no luck.

Code:

$cat .profile
# Workstation users:  Make changes to your .profile file in your home dir.
. /.profile
EDITOR=vi
export EDITOR
PS1=$
alias dir='cd /ford/mksc01/site_cons/sc_work/RRAMESHS/'

I validate as follows. After login I do a Esc[k] in my command line to get my previous commands . I am still not getting them.

In the command line I do a

Code:

set -o vi

and the do a Esc[k] I can get my previous commands one by one.

Thanks
Ramesh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent help needed for ksh shell setting

Today I logged as root on my HP-UX server and by mistake executed below command # ksh -i vi Then onwards for every root logging the ksh shell giving wired output to every command e.g # ls kÚ .brw_history .brwpause .brwtmp : : : 1+~H4p+À+~KÑ 1+Ðè d 15kÚ 1d+~èYÑd:ðè½h|À+~èY4:àh|À+ And so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Setting multiples variables with an array

ih all, info=$(get_Info $daemon) # $info give : # "ev20 8800 TTIOGC 12345 astos EDITEUR 0 0 . ." server=$(echo $info | cut -d" " -f1) port=$(echo $info | cut -d" " -f2) dname=$(echo $info | cut -d" " -f3) dport=$(echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting ksh environmental variable

Hi, I have problem setting up environmental variables. The idea is to start with main.ksh script that will run setting.ksh, and in side of it I'll set up variables. Please take a look at my code, and help me to find my mistake. Thanks, Mila Main.ksh look like this: #!/usr/bin/ksh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mefquik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Variable in TCL to be understood by KSH Shell

Hi , I am having one TCL TK script , I am setting some variables in the GUI TK interface set DI 1 set MODELS_PATH /a/d/path but I want to make ksh shell understand the variables when I am running TK script I tried to do like this set a but it is not working ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a while loop (.ksh script)

Hello Everyone, I'm still trying to grasp many concepts in .ksh scripting, one of them being variables inside loops. My problem is the following: * I'm trying to set a variable inside a while read loop to reuse it outside of said loop. My lines are the following :... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Varible with AWK in KSH

I am trying to set a variable from this AWK command in KSH but I keep getting an error that says my variable cannot be found. LOADNO = $(awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt) If I just run awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt I get the right value but as soon as I try to assign this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cvigeant
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up env variable in ksh

I am facing a very strange issue. I have script in ksh with #!/bin/ksh as shebang. This script has function which sets the env variable before running other functions of the script. by set_up_env() { CONFIG_FILE="/opt/app/tools/deepmarking/latestVersion/script/UploadEnv" if then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
7 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

GNOME Desktop - Setting missing from dconf-editor?

Hello All, Last night I installed OpenSuSE 12.1 (i586) on a HP Mini 110 laptop. And I selected GNOME as my Desktop during install... So I was trying to customize some things about the desktop, for example adding the Maximize/Minimize/Close options to the titlebar of a window. I did this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to edit a file using vi editor

I was wondering if it is possible to execute a script that will remove a certain search pattern from a file and save it? Manually I would just hit escape to enter command mode then search and delete the pattern "./srv 135.0.0.1.11111 210;=1" then save & exit the file vi command to search and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
3 Replies
remove profile(1m)														remove profile(1m)

NAME
remove profile - Removes all profile elements and the profile from the specified name service entry SYNOPSIS
rpccp remove profile profile-entry-name [-s syntax] OPTIONS
Indicates the name syntax of the entry name (optional). The only value for this option is the dce name syntax, which is the default name syntax. Until an alternative name syntax becomes available, specifying the -s option is unnecessary. ARGUMENTS
Indicates the name of the target profile. For an entry in the local cell, you can omit the cell name and specify only the cell-relative name. DESCRIPTION
The remove profile command removes a profile (and all of its elements) from the name service database. The entry name of the profile is required. Privilege Required You need write permission to the CDS object entry (the target profile entry). NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLES
The following commands run RPCCP and remove the profile named /.:/LandS/anthro/molly_o_profile: $ rpccp rpccp> remove profile /.:/LandS/anthro/molly_o_profile RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add element(1m), remove element(1m), show profile(1m) remove profile(1m)