Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Converting rows to column
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting rows to column Post 302634337 by sagar_1986 on Thursday 3rd of May 2012 08:04:04 AM
Old 05-03-2012
Question Converting rows to column

i have output of script as below

Code:
name,roll_no,01-05-12,02-05-12,03-05-12
sam,12,24,24,24
jon,145,24,24,22
van,29,24,22,24

i want to convert these into columns as output is not fixed please tell me how to convert 1st row in to 1st columns likewise,as many rows are there are to be converted into columns

thanks in advance

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use [code][/code] tags instead of [quote][/quote] tags for code and samples

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-03-2012 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: code tags / spelling

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Column to Rows in a Flat file

Hi, Request To guide me in writing a shell program for the following requirement: Example:if the Input File contains the follwing data Input File Data: 80723240029,12,323,443,88,98,7,98,67,87 80723240030,12,56,6,,,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,88,98,7,98,67,87... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinikal
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

i have single column which is starting with same string(many number of rows) i have to convert each into a single row.how can i do that? laknar std mes 23 55 laknar isd phone no address amount 99 I have to convert above like below. laknar|std|mes|23|55 laknar|isd|phone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting rows into multiple-rows

Hi every one; I have a file with 22 rows and 13 columns which includes floating numbers. I want to parse the file so that every five columns in the row would be a new record (row). For example, the first line in the old file should be converted into three lines with first two lines contain 5... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PHL
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting columns into rows

Is there anyway to convert columns into raws using awk? (or any other command line):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting rows into columns

Hi, I am trying to fetch some values from db and spooling the output to a file. when i query the db for the values, i get the values in following format. PC_1 wf_test1 Test PC_2 wf_test2 Test PC_3 wf_test3 Test But my spool file was created in following format. PC_1 wf_test1 Test... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting entries from rows to column

Hi all, I need your help on a multiple row entry into different columns. And do the same with all the entries in file. File example (showing 2 entries only, there are many like these): >ABC * AGA-AUUCUC-CGGUUCAAUCU ||| UCUAUAACCGCGCCGAGUUAGU >ABC * AGAUAU-GCUGCAGGCUCAAUUG ||||||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting column to rows for every 3 lines in the column

Hi gurus! Please help me with this one. I have an file with the following contents: a b c d e f g h i j I would like to make to transform it to look like this as my output file: a,b,c d,e,f (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

Hi .. anyone can you help me ? i need to convert text below into multiple columns interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0 description; TRUNK_PE-D2-JT2-VPN_Gi0/0/0/0_TO_ME4-A-JKT-JT_4/1/1_1G mtu 9212 negotiation auto interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0.11 description; tes encapsulation;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad3linux
1 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  CGI::Pretty(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD>foo</TD> </TR> </TABLE> Recommendation for when to use CGI::Pretty CGI::Pretty is far slower than using CGI.pm directly. A benchmark showed that it could be about 10 times slower. Adding newlines and spaces may alter the rendered appearance of HTML. Also, the extra newlines and spaces also make the file size larger, making the files take longer to download. With all those considerations, it is recommended that CGI::Pretty be used primarily for debugging. Tags that won't be formatted The following tags are not formatted: <a>, <pre>, <code>, <script>, <textarea>, and <td>. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser causing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm distribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 CGI::Pretty(3pm)