Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed, join lines that do not match pattern Post 302633715 by jlliagre on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 10:52:14 AM
Old 05-02-2012
Here are some explanations:next is skipping the remaining rule(s).

print is equivalent to printf("%s\n",$0)

printf format string doesn't specify a new line (no tailing \n), so the next line(s) are joined.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: match pattern & delete matched lines

Hi all, I have the following data in a file x.csv: > ,this is some text here > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/11/16,0.23 > ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2006/12/16,0.88 < ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this shouldnt be deleted I need to use SED to match anything with a > in the line and delete that line, can someone help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print all lines after pattern match

HiCan someone show me how to print all lines from a file after a line matching a pattern using sed?Thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed delete blank lines upto first pattern match

Hi Im trying to do the following in sed. I want to delete any blank line at the start of a file until it matches a pattern and then stops. for example: Input output: I have got it to work within a range of two patterns with the following: sed '/1/,/pattern/{/^]*$/d}' The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join the lines until next pattern match

Hi, I have a data file where data is splitted into multiple lines. And, each valid record starts with a patten date | <?xml and ends with pattern </dmm> e.g. 20120924|<?xml record 1 line1....record 1 line1....record 1 line1.... record 1 line2....record 1 line2....record 1 line2.... record 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dipalik
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Join lines on finding a pattern

I have a file with the following contents. DTP START START START DTP START DTP START DTP START I like to join the lines like this DTP START START START DTP START DTP START (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join all the lines matching similar pattern

I am trying to Join all the lines matching similar pattern. Example ; I wanted to join all the lines which has sam to a single line. In next line, i wanted to have all the lines with jones to a single line....etc > cat sample.txt sam 2012/11/23 sam 2012/12/5 sam 2012/12/5 jones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join lines from two files based on match

I have two files. File1 >gi|11320906|gb|AF197889.1|_Buchnera_aphidicola ATGAAATTTAAGATAAAAAATAGTATTTT >gi|11320898|gb|AF197885.1|_Buchnera_aphidicola ATGAAATTTAATATAAACAATAAAA >gi|11320894|gb|AF197883.1|_Buchnera_aphidicola ATGAAATTTAATATAAACAATAAAATTTTT File2 AF197885 Uroleucon aeneum... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)