Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming REQUIRE HELP IN WRITING A PERL SCRIPT Post 302633667 by drl on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 10:11:50 AM
Old 05-02-2012
Hi.

Welcome to the forum.
Code:
Advice for forum posts, general:

To obtain the best answers quickly for processing datasets --
extracting, transforming, filtering, you should, after having
searched for answers (man pages, Google, etc.):

1. Post representative samples of your data (i.e.  data that
should "succeed" and data that should "fail")

2. Post what you expect the results to be, in addition to
describing them.  Be clear about how the results are to be
obtained, e.g.  "add field 2 from file1 to field 3 from file2",
"delete all lines that contain 'possum', etc. 

3. Post what you have attempted to do so far.  Post scripts,
programs, etc.  within CODE tags.  If you have a specific
question about an error, please post the shortest example of the
code, script, etc. that exhibits the problem. 

4. Place the data and expected output within CODE tags, so that
they are more easily readable. 

Special cases, exceptions, etc., are very important to include
in the samples.

Also, is there some reason that you need to use perl? ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl Unix Script Writing

Hi Folks, I posted a few days ago, thanks for the responses. My original question was for renaming files of sort 3p2325294.dgn in a directory containing multiple files. I need to drop the first 2 characters and the last in a unix script using Perl. How does it differ from using the Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dinkster
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require Help for Shell Script

Hi friends, i am trying to print warning for partition size which exceed limit of 90% & other are ok. i m using below command which print partition which exceed 90% # df -h | sort -k5 | head -1 | awk 'END{ print $1" :- Not Having more space on This Partition"}' i want to print... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for a perl script - writing to a data file

Hi, Here is my problem.. i have 2 files (file1, file2).. i have wrote the last two lines and first 4 lines of "file2" into two different variables .. say.. my $firstrec = `head -4 $file2`; my $lastrec = `tail -2 $file2`; and i write the rest of the file2 to a tmpfile and cat it with head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meghana
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with writing a perl script

Hi all! I have to write a perl script that gets trashholds from a file and match them with an output of a command. The trashhold file looks like this: "pl-it_prod.GW.Sync.reply.*" "500" "-1" "" "" "pl-it_prod.A.*" "100" "-1" "" "" "application.log" ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
29 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require script to create two files

Hi folks, I have a input.file with the following contents:- flor geor enta vpal domi pegl cars mted four rose annc gabi ward dalv elph beac (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mithalr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a Perl Script that processes multiple files

I want to write a Perl script that manipulates multiple files. In the directory, I have files 250.*chr$.ped where * is from 1 to 1000 and $ is from 1-22 for a total of 22 x 10,000 = 22,000 files. I want to write a script that only manipulates files 250.1chr*.ped where * is from 1 to 22.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script for Calling a function and writing all its contents to a file

I have a function which does awk proceessing sub mergeDescription { system (q@awk -F'~' ' NR == FNR { A = $1 B = $2 C = $0 next } { n = split ( C, V, "~" ) if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crypto87
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing perl script

Hi, I am new to perl. I am trying to write a small perl script for search and replace in a file : ======================================================== #!/usr/bin/perl my $searchStr = "register_inst\.write_t\("; my $replaceStr = "model\.fc_block\."; open(FILE,"temp.sv") ||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chettyravi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate a script that would require authentication?

Hey everyone... I'm just stretching my wings a bit and seeing how things work. If I wanted to write a script that had me ssh to my remote computer, how can this be done? If the script runs without me, how can I enter the required password? the same is true for any time of authentication method like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing xml from excel sheet .xls using perl script

Hi all. I am working on the below requirement of generating .xml file from .xls file which i have , can someone please help me or in writing the perl script for the same: The xls file format is as below which has two columns and number of rows are not fixed: Fixlet Name ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
12 Replies
Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)

NAME
Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner - naive implementation of some beginner specific error checking SYNOPSIS
use Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner; my $beginner = Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner->new; if (not $beginner->check($data)) { warn $beginner->error; } DESCRIPTION
This is a naive implementation. It needs to be replaced by one using PPI. In Perl 5 there are lots of pitfalls the unaware, especially the beginner can easily fall in. While some might expect the Perl compiler itself would catch those it does not (yet ?) do it. So we took the initiative and added a beginners mode to Padre in which these extra issues are checked. Some are real problems that would trigger an error anyway we just make them a special case with a more specific error message. (e.g. "use warning;" without the trailing s) Others are valid code that can be useful in the hands of a master but that are poisonous when written by mistake by someone who does not understand them. (e.g. "if ($x = /value/) { }" ). This module provides a method called "check" that can check a Perl script (provided as parameter as a single string) and recognize problematic code. Examples See <http://padre.perlide.org/ticket/52> and <http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=728569> Cases o split /,/, @data; Here @data is in scalar context returning the number of elements. Spotted in this form: split /,/, @ARGV; o use warning; s is missing at the end. o map { $_; } (@items),$extra_item; is the same as map { $_; } (@items,$extra_item); but you usually want (map { $_; } (@items)),$extra_item; which means: map all @items and them add $extra_item without mapping it. o Warn about Perl-standard package names being reused package DB; o $x = chomp $y; print chomp $y; o map { s/foo/bar/; } (@items); This returns an array containing true or false values (s/// - return value). Use map { s/foo/bar/; $_; } (@items); to actually change the array via s///. o <@X> o if ($x = /bla/) { } o Pipe | in open() not at the end or the beginning. o open($ph, "| something |"); o Regular expression starting with a quantifier such as /+.../ o } else if { o } elseif { o close; HOW TO ADD ANOTHER ONE
Please feel free to add as many checks as you like. This is done in three steps: Add the test Add one (or more) tests for this case to t/75-perl-beginner.t The test should be successful when your supplied sample fails the check and returns the correct error message. As texts of error messages may change, try to match a good part which allows identification of the message but don't match the very exact text. Tests could use either one-liners written as strings within the test file or external support files. There are samples for both ways in the test script. Add the check Add the check to the check-sub of this file (Document/Perl/Beginner.pm). There are plenty samples here. Remember to add a sample (and maybe short description) what would fail the test. Run the test script to match your test case(s) to the new check. Add the configuration option Go to Config.pm, look for the beginner error checks configuration and add a new setting for your new check there. It defaults to 1 (run the check), but a user could turn it off by setting this to 0 within the Padre configuration file. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2012 The Padre development team as listed in Padre.pm. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-27 Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)