Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Gnome config daemon gconfd-2 running out of file descriptors Post 302633529 by Twirlip on Wednesday 2nd of May 2012 06:20:55 AM
Old 05-02-2012
I've read the man pages, and can't find a way of using projects to set default resource limits for a given executable (in my case /usr/lib/gconfd-2). How can I increase limits for processes running this image, but not for other processes?

This would be easy if I had control over whatever starts gconfd-2 (I could use newtask for example), but I don't.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Display program running on CDE via GNOME

Hi All, I have one AIX box (5.1 with CDE running) and one Linux box ( FC3 with GNOME on it). What I want to be able to do is : SSH from the Linux box into the AIX box and then open an X term to launch a X window application. I am not able to do that. My guess is that the window mangers and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: navinxavier
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

daemon running in AIX checking

how do u check if a daemon is running in AIX.. Is it ps -ef|grep daemon lssrc -s demon ??? Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Port status/Running daemon

Hi, I need to run an application (Hudson) listening to port 8080 on a remote Solaris server. I have managed to start that application and tried to access it with my browser from my local PC, but unsuccessfully. I need to find out what is blocking the access to that port (or any other). A... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in the daemon running script

Hi I was going through one of my pjct script .Please let me know the logic for the deamon is running or not as i think the condtn should be vice-versa. daemon_list = 'idp1278' FAIL=0 for p in ${daemon_list} do fail=0 ps -fu workarea | grep ${p} > /dev/null 2>&1 if ] then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find hangs with automountd daemon running

Hi, I am trying to find files with specific name using find / -name core -print.. this command is hanging and never completes as it is searching for all the automount filesystems ..i cant eliminate using "! -fstype nfs" as this is not a nfs filesystem pls let me know if anyone know how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: to_bsr
2 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Gnome config file

Hi Guys If i go to systems -> Preferances -> Look and Feel -> Windows i can click on the radio box for "Super (or "Windows Logo") is there a config file i can change it in instead i can not find it thanks Adam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
0 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

vnc viewer presents black screen along with GNOME settings daemon errors.

Hello folks, I'm remotely connecting through VNC to two machines, each running Red Hat 5.9, from mine which is running Windows 7. Both connections were working well before. However, now one of the machines only gives me a black screen, with a pop up that says: "There was an error starting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Miguel E. Perez
1 Replies
plimit(1)							   User Commands							 plimit(1)

NAME
plimit - get or set the resource limits of running processes SYNOPSIS
plimit [-km] pid... plimit {-cdfnstv} soft,hard... pid... DESCRIPTION
If one or more of the cdfnstv options is specified, plimit sets the soft (current) limit and/or the hard (maximum) limit of the indicated resource(s) in the processes identified by the process-ID list, pid. Otherwise plimit reports the resource limits of the processes identi- fied by the process-ID list, pid. Only the owner of a process or the super-user is permitted either to get or to set the resource limits of a process. Only the super-user can increase the hard limit. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -k On output, show file sizes in kilobytes (1024 bytes) rather than in 512-byte blocks. -m On output, show file and memory sizes in megabytes (1024*1024 bytes). The remainder of the options are used to change specified resource limits. They each accept an argument of the form: soft,hard where soft specifies the soft (current) limit and hard specifies the hard (maximum) limit. If the hard limit is not specified, the comma may be omitted. If the soft limit is an empty string, only the hard limit is set. Each limit is either the literal string unlimited, or a number, with an optional scaling factor, as follows: nk n kilobytes nm n megabytes (minutes for CPU time) nh n hours (for CPU time only) mm:ss minutes and seconds (for CPU time only) The soft limit cannot exceed the hard limit. -c soft,hard Set core file size limits (default unit is 512-byte blocks). -d soft,hard Set data segment (heap) size limits (default unit is kilobytes). -f soft,hard Set file size limits (default unit is 512-byte blocks). -n soft,hard Set file descriptor limits (no default unit). -s soft,hard Set stack segment size limits (default unit is kilobytes). -t soft,hard Set CPU time limits (default unit is seconds). -v soft,hard Set virtual memory size limits (default unit is kilobytes). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported. pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
plimit returns the exit value zero on success, non-zero on failure (such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option). FILES
/proc/pid/* process information and control files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), proc(1), getrlimit(2), setrlimit(2), proc(4), attributes(5), SunOS 5.10 8 Jun 1998 plimit(1)