Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron security issues?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Cron security issues? Post 302633381 by eileenkeeney on Tuesday 1st of May 2012 10:47:29 PM
Old 05-01-2012
Cron security issues?

Does the use of cron (HP-UX 11) present a security risk IF it is only given to accounts which have shell access anyway.

If it does present a risk, what is the risk?

Can a script (or command) run via cron; run anything, write anywhere or read anywhere that the same user can not do outside of cron?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

NFS security issues with lockd and statd

We are trying to implement a NAS solution with UNIX servers and multiple networks, and I've heard that NFS has security issues with lockd and statd. The security issue as it was explained to me is that these services are subject to vulnerabilities/exploits, and that users who connect to Unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onceagain
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Cron issues

I am on AS3 Update 4 Linux and am having an issue with an automated ftp script, I tried using the fd/sub proc method and that did not seem to work either. I normally use the following method to perform my ftp's but for some reason it works if I launch the script at the command line but in Cron it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanthomas
4 Replies

3. Solaris

cron / crontab issues - solaris 10

I am having some issues with my cronjobs not running in solaris 10. Cron is running: ~> ps -ef | grep cron root 202 1 0 Jul 18 ? 0:01 /usr/sbin/cron bender 1646 1562 0 01:57:49 syscon 0:00 grep cron crontab -l lists the cronjob and I *think* its in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
8 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Security issues with universal access of file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: If you look at the permissions associated with a symbolic link, it has universal access. Does this lead to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux17
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/cron issues

Hi all, I am trying to run a cronjob to push my files to my git repo once a week and output a prompt to a logfile, my script works fine if I invoke it manually but my cronjob wont run for some reason, I have sourced the file, and restarted my Mac to no avail, right now I believe I have the cronjob... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmenfan83
8 Replies

6. AIX

Cron scripts security

Hello everyone, I have an AIX 6.1 machine and i experienced a problem with my cron scripts. It appears that somebody renamed a cron script so crontab could not execute it. Is there a way to put some security on cron scripts so nobody else except root can rename or delete a cron script? Or they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Db2 command issues with cron

Hi, I have a very simple script that queries from a DB2 table. The script has 3 parts - (i) Sets the db2profile (ii) connects to db2 using credentials (iii) executes the query.This script works fine if i run it manually from the command prompt. However when scheduled in crontab, it proceeds... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeePee
2 Replies
CHECKSECURITY(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  CHECKSECURITY(8)

NAME
checksecurity - Run a collection of simple system checks SYNOPSIS
checksecurity DESCRIPTION
The checksecurity command runs a small collection of simple system checks which are designed to catch a few common security issues. check- security is run by cron in a daily basis. CONFIGURATION
The checksecurity.conf file defines several configuration variables: MAILTO, CHECK_DISKFREE, CHECK_PASSWD and CHECK_SETUID LOGDIR. Each is described below. The checksecurity program works with a collection of plugins which are located in /usr/share/checksecurity and are configured individually by their own configuration file. CHECK_PASSWD If this is set to TRUE then the check-passwd script will be invoked. This script is designed to report upon system accounts which have no passwords. CHECK_DISKFREE If this is set to TRUE then the check-diskfree script will be invoked and will allow an alert to be sent if there is any mounted partition is running short on disk space. CHECK_SETUID If this is set to TRUE then the check-setuid script will be invoked, this will compare the setuid binaries upon the system to those that existed previously and show the differences. FILES
/etc/checksecurity.conf checksecurity configuration file SEE-ALSO See also check-diskfree(8), check-setuid(8), and check-passwd(8) Debian Linux 2 February 1997 CHECKSECURITY(8)