Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recompiling and uninstalling existing applications Post 302632837 by werdenaz on Tuesday 1st of May 2012 12:52:44 AM
Old 05-01-2012
Recompiling and uninstalling existing applications

Hi everyone,

I'm new-ish to Unix outside of being a basic user in the past. So some background on my experience level when asking this question.

My current laptop, running OS X 10.5, had Apache and PHP installed when I bought it. However I need to recompile these now to add features which weren't included 'out of the box'.

Questions:
- Do I need to do anything to 'uninstall' these existing versions of the software before the recompile?
- Do I need to delete the binaries/libraries/other directories/etc of a program I am going to be recompiling (if this isn't answered by the above question) or will this automatically be taken care of?
- How can I make sure I don't leave anything 'hanging around' when I do uninstall a program? Or recompile?
- What resources can I read to learn more about all of this and related?

Thanks!
Charles

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help Uninstalling Linux!

Hello, I have a laptop running Fedora Core 2, and I am trying to wipe it to put on Windows. Even though the CD is listed first in the boot order, it will not boot to the Solaris system disk. How else could I format this laptop? -skeet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skeet23
4 Replies

2. AIX

overriding function calls without recompiling

i want to replace the *alloc and free function calls in an existing project with my own functions, to be able to log the adresses etc in a text file. (memoryleak debugging) I think LD_PRELOAD is what i am looking for. That way i could create a Library with my own malloc functions and link them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Perl Installing, Uninstalling

I have some problems with mysql, and maybe perl installation faults. I have installed perl by source. I followed default configuration (e.g. ./configure, make, make install). I have installed perl just because it was required for mysql's installation. But now I have some problems. If I will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kisoun
8 Replies

4. Debian

Uninstalling programs?

How can I uninstall a program the most efficient way? So that I get rid of all the man pages etc. too? I'm running debian. /Richard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Uninstalling Vendor Software

Hi admins, thanks for community i have installed a software ( it's a specific soft from a specific vendor : i mean it is not a SUN product ). the install was trough a .tar.gz file and with an "install" executable ( so the command was simply #./install ) my pain now is how to uninstall it... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
10 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Uninstalling OpenSSH on Tru64

Hi Can anyone point me to any documentation or can provide instructions on uninstalling OpenSSH (4.7p1) on Tru64 UNIX 5.1a? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgajraj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

folder existing and file existing

I want to look into a folder to see if there are any folders within it. If there are, I need to check inside each folder to see if it contains a .pdf file So If /myserver/myfolder/ contains a folder AND that folder conatins a .pdf file do X Else do Z I may have multiple folders and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Add existing user into an existing group

Pre: no gpasswd/adduser there is just usermod can be used, also there is no -a option for usermod. How should I add a user into a group? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert pipes for existing and non-existing records

I have a source file like this, L4058S462 34329094 F51010141TK1070000483L4058S462 34329094 0232384840 381892 182 5690 L4058S462 34329094 F51020141FIRST CLEARING, LLC A/C 3432-9094 L4058S462 34329094 F51030141JOHAN HOLMQVIST ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanamr
1 Replies

10. AIX

Relink without recompiling

Hello, There is a need to link a new dynamic library to a big number of exes. Unfortunately, I cannot recompile/link all these exes against the new library. Is there any way to link an existing executable with the new library? (everything has been compiled using the xlc tool) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geodimo
1 Replies
BOS_UNINSTALL(8)					       AFS Command Reference						  BOS_UNINSTALL(8)

NAME
bos_uninstall - Reverts to the former version of a process's binary file SYNOPSIS
bos uninstall -server <machine name> -file <files to uninstall>+ [-dir <destination dir>] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos u -s <machine name> -f <files to uninstall>+ [-d <destination dir>] [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos uninstall command replaces each binary file specified by the -file argument with its ".BAK" version on the server machine named by the -server argument, which is normally the binary distribution machine for its CPU/operating system type. It also changes the extension on the current ".OLD" version (if any) to ".BAK". Each binary file must reside in the local /usr/lib/openafs directory unless the -dir argument names an alternate directory. To start using the reverted binary immediately, issue the bos restart command. Otherwise, the BOS Server automatically restarts the process at the time defined in the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file; use the bos getrestart command to display the time and the bos setrestart time to set it. OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the binary distribution machine on which to revert to the ".BAK" version of binaries. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully-qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). If the machine is not a binary distribution machine and is running an "upclientbin" process, then the files are overwritten the next time the "upclientbin" process fetches the corresponding file from the distribution machine (by default within five minutes). -file <files to uninstall>+ Names each binary file to replace with its ".BAK" version. -dir <destinatino dir> Provides the complete pathname of the local disk directory containing each file named by the -file argument. It is necessary only if the binaries are not in the /usr/lib/openafs directory. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following example command overwrites the /usr/lib/openafs/kaserver file on the machine "fs4.abc.com" with its ".BAK" version, and the current ".BAK" version by the ".OLD" version. % bos uninstall -server fs4.abc.com -file kaserver PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. The bos uninstall command cannot be run against servers running in restricted mode. SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), UserList(5), bos(8), bos_getrestart(8), bos_restart(8), bos_setrestart(8), upclient(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_UNINSTALL(8)