Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Output only first 400 bytes of a huge text file Post 302631535 by garethsays on Friday 27th of April 2012 12:10:36 PM
Old 04-27-2012
Output only first 400 bytes of a huge text file

How do I output only the first 400 bytes of a huge text file to a new file.

It has to be unmodified so no added invisible characters.

Many thanks.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cron output = 0 bytes

I have a cron job set to run a script everyday. If I run the script out side of cron it runs correctly. If cron runs the script is produces a 0 byte file and it puts the output in the / directory. The script is set to put the output in a specific directory. Any help would be appreciated. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbattreall
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove FIRST Line of huge text file on Solaris

i need help..!!!! i have one big text file estimate data file size 50 - 100GB with 70 Mega Rows. on OS SUN Solaris version 8 How i can remove first line of the text file. Please suggest me for solutions. Thank you very much in advance:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madoatz
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX/HPUX - Need to get the last few bytes of a text

Hi guys, I am in need of a simple, (typically one-liner) script to get the last 17 bytes of a line. Eg. echo "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv" here i would need the last 17 bytes of the text ie. fghijklmnopqrstuv The text length is dymanic (but always more than 17)...it can even span upto... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: n_rajitr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first N bytes and last N bytes from a binary file on AIX.

Hi all, Does anybody know or guide me on how to remove the first N bytes and the last N bytes from a binary file? Is there any AWK or SED or any command that I can use to achieve this? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Best Regards, Naveen. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how we can calculate this bytes(55207936) in to MB(output=26957)

root@erpdevserver $ vxassist -g devdg maxsize Maximum volume size: 55207936 (26957Mb) This is the output in vxvm(3.1).. my question is how we can calculate this bytes(55207936) in to MB(output=26957) or in GB.plz tell how to calculate (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing in huge text file

I have huge text files (~120 MB)x100 which equivalents to ~11GB of data. The files contain pure numbers, actually the value of "phi" to 10 billion digits!! I know its huge!! Here are the last few lines of a file 0952899155 3233967444 3344925499 0276061529 7261968933 9683989044 3317145063... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuthatte
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to open a huge text file?

Hi. I have a 10 Gb text file.the default text editor in ubuntu doens't open it. Does anyone know how can i open it?? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stalaei
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 bytes(3pm)