Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Efficient Text File Writing
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Efficient Text File Writing Post 302631043 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 26th of April 2012 04:37:21 PM
Old 04-26-2012
Hi this could be done with a so-called "here document":

Code:
cat > file << EOF
//$auth
EOF

See man bash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Picking out text from one file and writing it to another.

Hello. I have one file that is a collection of discarded emails. Each email is it's own section with each section beginning with the same header (ie 'Another Email' ). I want to traverse through the file and every time I find the header ('Another Email') I then want to pick out the 'To:' line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottf33
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing data in a text file at particular line

I need to write value of variable $version at a particular line in a text file. Line number is determined by another variable &line......I don't know how to do it in shell script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writing a script to create a new text file with specific data from existing two files

Hi, I have two text files. Need to create a third text file extracting specific data from first two existing files.. Text File 1: Format contains: SQL*Loader: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Aug 4 21:06:34 2010 some text ............so on...and somwhere text like: Record 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi143ibm
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing text to file

Hi, I know the code to write a piece of text to the end of a given text file is echo $text >> filename.txt I would like to know how to write a piece of text to a file using shell, but the file name isn't given. I want it to write to whatever text file is currently open. Not to all text files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anirudh215
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Efficient way of extracting data from file

I am having a file, around 500 lines. which contains one letter words, two letters words,...and so on(up to 15 letter words and words are not seprated by line). I need to compare all 1 letter words with 3,4,5 and 6 letters word, all 2 letters words with 2,3,4 and 5 letters words and all 3 letters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhay_ms
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient population of array from text file

Hi, I am trying to populate an array with data from a text file. I have a working method using awk but it is too slow and inefficent. See below. The text file has 70,000 lines. As awk is a line editor it reads each line of the file until it gets to the required line and then processes it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Most efficient method to extract values from text files

I have a list of files defined in a single file , one on each line.(No.of files may wary each time) eg. content of ETL_LOOKUP.dat /data/project/randomname /data/project/ramname /data/project/raname /data/project/radomname /data/project/raame /data/project/andomname size of these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0x0r21
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to search array in text file by awk

I have one array SPLNO with approx 10k numbers.Now i want to search the subscriber number from MDN.TXT file (containing approx 1.5 lac record)from the array.if subscriber number found in array it will perform below operation.my issue is that it's taking more time because for one number it's search... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable and efficient way to add text after pattern

Shell: sh/bash OS: Linux (all unix flavors) Suppose i have a variable with this content: ArgZ=' import os import sys MySpecialpath = os.path.abspath(sys.argv) # ' ArgZB='#REGEN #REGEN #REGEN ' I want to add this text to a file/script, only under the following conditions: 1. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)