Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with Sed (replacing parenthesis and comma) Post 302630273 by bakunin on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 03:39:43 PM
Old 04-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47shailesh
Code:
echo 'Results('Toilet', 'Sink', )'  | sed 's:, ):):g'

This will remove the comma only if it is followed by " )" and - even worse - will remove any comma followed by " )" in the line.

A more robust approach will be to search for the last occurrence of a character in the line and remove this:

Code:
echo "<your_string_here>" | sed 's/,[^,]*$//'

This will remove the last occurrence of "," in a line, regardless of what it is followed. This method can be used to search for (and maybe change) any last character of some sort:

Code:
sed 's/<character>[^<character>]*$/ .../'

searches for <character> followed by any number of (*) "not-characters" (this is what "[^<character>]" means: "^" is a logical NOT for character classes) followed by a line-end. Therefore, if it matches, it will match only the last character of a sort in a line.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

another sed question about parenthesis

hi, I'm trying to use sed to erase everything, up to, and including, the first closing parenthesis. for example: input: blah blah blah (aldj) test (dafs) test test. output: test (dafs) test test. how would i do this? I was fooling around with the parenthesis, and i only got it to apply to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammaman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing comma's with newlines using sed

Hi All, silly question that I'm sure is easy to answer for a more experienced coder... I have a file called test.txt containing the following text... need, to, break, this, line, into, individual, lines using sed, I'd like to make the file look like this... need to break this line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing Comma by Tab

Hi All, i have a file test.txt as shown below, 1,test,test111 2,rest,rest222 i want to replace the commas by tab delimiter.., it should be like, 1 test test111 2 rest rest222 i tried the following code, sed 's/,/\\t/g' test.txt >> ouptut.txt (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serious Sam
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing dot for comma

I wanted to change 34.66 to 34,66. I tried the command: sed 's/./,/' $NUM Where $NUM is a variable with 34.66 value. The output is ,4.66 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdalmeida
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing space replacing by comma

hi i want to replace spaces by comma my file is ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204802 ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204803 ADD 16428 170 160 3 WNPG 204 941 No 204804 ADD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - replacing 6th comma with a space

Hi, How can I replace the 6th comma on each line (of a csv) with a space? Any online tutorials with plenty of examples using sed would be very useful. Alex (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcclunyboy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline parenthesis matching, with e.g. SED script, in LaTeX doc

In a LaTeX manuscript, I need to replace many occurrences of \emph{some string} with some string, i.e. whatever string is inside. The string inside often may extend over several lines, and there may be other occurences of curly brackets inside it. So for example \emph{this \it{is} a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sune
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replacing the comma in .csv file in unix

Hi All, Could some one help me on one of my requirement below: I have a sequential file with 4fields in it and it is a comma (,) seperated file. Delimeter is 'comma'. But in of the file column for ex: 3rd column it is 'Description' (column name) I am getting the values with commas.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay_s
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing | with a comma

I have a huge file which is pipe delimiter and i want to replace the pipe delimiter to a comma Please Help as its v urgent. Ex: parent|child|alias|....Heading of the file...and the data is of similar structure. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: win4luv
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help adding parenthesis

I have the following data and want to put parenthis around the numbers: PARTITION PERIOD_MIN VALUES LESS THAN 10649 TABLESPACE ODS_DAILY_MF_AUM, PARTITION PERIOD_10649 VALUES LESS THAN 10650 TABLESPACE ODS_DAILY_MF_AUM, PARTITION PERIOD_10650 VALUES LESS THAN 10651 TABLESPACE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)