Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can i reboot a zone when i logged in the zone Post 302628075 by jlliagre on Monday 23rd of April 2012 01:25:46 AM
Old 04-23-2012
Sure you can. That's the usual way to reboot a zone. If you are logged to the console, you'll see all the shutdown and boot messages in it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Bind zone transfer recategorises zone file?

Hi, I have a primary/slave Bind 9 setup running on a Solaris 10 platform. Everything is hunky dorey, except for when I make a zone file change and up the serial the file that is transferred to the slave looses all its comments, and the entries are place in alphabetical order. I administer many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fulhamfcboy
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Non global zone does not reboot.

Hello. I have a problem where the non global zone does not reboot when I issue init 6 from withinit. I logon to the zone do init 6 can the see "shuttingdown on signal 15" message but nothing more happens. after 10 minutes in var adm messages there is no more information written after the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vettec3
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Strange behavior of zone after reboot

Hi All, I have Solaris-10 M4000 server with VxVM file-system and 7 zones. I rebooted the server and after that one of the zone shows me in running state, but after zlogin, it is showing no df and other output. It is also throwing lot of core dumps # uname -a SunOS tssoaq01-ztbgps17 5.10... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
7 Replies

4. Solaris

how to add a default gateway in a zone of different VLAN of global zone

Hi Greetings... I have an issue in connecting the zone from outside the network and it is because of default gateway. I can ping default gateway from inside the zone and not able to ping from global zone due to different VLAN issue. If i add two different gateways and restart network services,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvpotugunta
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Zone failes to boot due to mount issue, dir exists in zone.

I have two physical servers, with zones that mount local storage. We were using "raw device" in the zonecfg to point to a metadevice on the global zone (it was not mounted in the global zone at any point). It failed to mount on every boot because the directory existed in the zone. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

6. Solaris

showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone

can some one help me out as it is showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone .In global zone it is showing in GMT while in nonglobal zone i it showing as PDT. System in running with solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravijanjanam12
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 10: I forgot to detach a zone before zpool export. Uninstall zone?

Dear all, recently, I migrated a solaris zone from one host to another. The zone was inside of a zpool. The zpool cotains two volumes. I did the following: host1: $ zlogin zone1 shutdown -y -g0 -i0 #Zone status changes from running to installed $ zpool export zone1 host2: $ zpool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: custos
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Changing only time zone file not the timezone without reboot

Hello all, I just want to update the timezone file with new file to update the time, so the zone in /etc/TIMEZONE will be the same but the file it refers to will be changed, and the local time should be changed, can this take effect without rebooting Solaris 10? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amr.Es
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 zone has no external network access (except to Global Zone)

Hi, hoping someone can help, its been a while since I used Solaris. After creating a NGZ (non global zone), the NGZ can access the GZ (Global Zone) and the GZ can access the NGZ (using ssh, zlogin) However, the NGZ cannot access any other netwqork devices, it can't even see the default router ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GazinLincoln
2 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, poweroff, halt -- restarting, powering down and stopping the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-dlnpqvxz] poweroff [-dlnqvxz] reboot [-dlnqvxz] [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
The poweroff, halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM, wait for up to 30 seconds for them to die, send a SIGKILL to the survivors and, respectively, power down, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the login accounting file and sending a message via syslog(3). The options are as follows: -d Create a dump before halting or restarting. This option is useful for debugging system dump procedures or capturing the state of a corrupted or misbehaving system. -l Suppress sending a message via syslog(3) before halting or restarting. -n Do not flush the file system cache. This option should be used with extreme caution. It can be used if a disk or a processor is on fire. -p Attempt to powerdown the system. If the powerdown fails, or the system does not support software powerdown, the system will halt. This option is only valid for halt. -v To enable verbose messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_VERBOSE to reboot(2). -x To enable debugging messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_DEBUG to reboot(2). -z To silence some shutdown messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_SILENT to reboot(2). -q Do not give processes a chance to shut down before halting or restarting. This option should not normally be used. If there are any arguments passed to reboot they are concatenated with spaces and passed as bootstr to the reboot(2) system call. The string is passed to the firmware on platforms that support it. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom. SEE ALSO
reboot(2), syslog(3), utmp(5), boot(8), init(8), rescue(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The poweroff command first appeared in NetBSD 1.5. CAVEATS
Once the command has begun its work, stopping it before it completes will probably result in a system so crippled it must be physically reset. To prevent premature termination, the command blocks many signals early in its execution. However, nothing can defend against delib- erate attempts to evade this. This command will stop the system without running any shutdown(8) scripts. Amongst other things, this means that swapping will not be dis- abled so that raid(4) can shutdown cleanly. You should normally use shutdown(8) unless you are running in single user mode. BUGS
The single user shell will ignore the SIGTERM signal. To avoid waiting for the timeout when rebooting or halting from the single user shell, you have to exec reboot or exec halt. BSD
February 16, 2011 BSD