Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting creating printf statement using user arguments Post 302627171 by kristinu on Friday 20th of April 2012 10:23:05 AM
Old 04-20-2012
Ahhh Yes.

In my situation I will be using "$@"

How can I modify this to exclude the last arguments, ot the last two arguments?

---------- Post updated at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:32 AM ----------

I have now coded the following:

Code:
length=$(($#-2))
 array="${@:1:$length}"
 echo "All Arguments except last two"
 printf "$frmt" "$array"

echo "All Arguments"
 printf "$frmt" "$@"

The problem is this:

"$@" allows the each parameter to become a single word, so that "$@" is equivalent to "$1" "$2", because some arguments will have contain embedded blanks.

However calling $array does not allow me to do things as "$@" does, even though the array manages to drop the last two arguments.

---------- Post updated at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:53 AM ----------

I managed to make it work using the following

Code:
printf "$frmt" "${@:1:$(($#-2))}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if statement - how can I do 2 arguments?

I am new to shell, and I am trying to do a if statement like the following: if ; then basically it works fine if both arguments of the if are met, however the next elif is: elif ; then if the conditions of the elif are met, then it says "final1.sh: line 67: [: too many arguments" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darklight
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf statement

The printf statement pay_amount=$(printf "%013.3f" "$4") working perfectly at one path(xxx/home/rsh) and showing error (printf: 216.000: invalid number) at another path(/opt/xxxx/xxxx). what will be the reason? thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reeta_shri
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statement for different cmd arguments

Hello friends, I have a boubt passing different arguments at a time for any one option in below code. I would also like to check which option has been selected (any one of i, r, u ) so that whether or not matching argument passed can be verified. for i and r - install and re-install -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pd2
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating if statement for nfs

What would be correct syntax in a script to check to see if a /export/nfs/home mount point is mounted and if not stop/abort? OS is Solaris 10 using standard VI ksh shell. Here is the script. Please tell me where you see the problem. #!/bin/bash # # This script is run as root to sync AMI PROD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating textfile from arguments

Hi all I'm new to this forum and I really hope someone can help me out with a (for you guys) fairly easy question. I want to have a script that takes 1-14 arguments, all numbers 1-14, say myscript 1 3 4 5 7 what the script shall do is basically generare a textfile that contains 16... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tobbev
5 Replies

6. Programming

Passing arguments from command line to switch case statement in C

Hi Am pretty new to C.. Am trying to pass the arguments from command line and use them in switch case statement.. i have tried the following #include <stdlib.h> main(int argc, char* argv) { int num=0; if ( argc == 2 ) num = argv; printf("%d is the num value",num); switch ( num ) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add printf statement in awk command?

hi all i need to add the prinf statement in awk command for the converted comma separated output.... below is my code : Code Credits :RudiC awk -F, 'NF==2 {next} {ITM=$1 AMT=$2+0 CNT=$3+0 TOTA+=$2 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printf statement for currency conversion

hi all, I had my script as a=qw b=rter c=fdfd curency=1000 printf"${curency} $a $b $c" > filename can i have printf statement that can change the currency from 1000 to 1,000 like it should convert the number to currency format ..?(i.e for any number) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arguments in usage statement

Hello, I have a question regarding the usage statement of a script. I have 2 parameters "--pto" and "--pto_list". To start the script I will need one of them. Both together are not possible. How this would be printed out within a usage statement? My suggestion would be: Usage:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If statement arguments

I'm stuck on a particular problem and need some guidance. I have a file with a name and a phone number in it (teledir.txt). I need to do a $# in a separate script to take a positional parameter and check to see if it is in the file. To quote the question: If one argument is supplied, check... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
6 Replies
MSSQL_FREE_STATEMENT(3) 												   MSSQL_FREE_STATEMENT(3)

mssql_free_statement - Free statement memory

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_free_statement (resource $stmt) DESCRIPTION
mssql_free_statement(3) only needs to be called if you are worried about using too much memory while your script is running. All statement memory will automatically be freed when the script ends. You may call mssql_free_statement(3) with the statement identifier as an argument and the associated statement memory will be freed. PARAMETERS
o $stmt - Statement resource, obtained with mssql_init(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_free_statement(3) example <?php // Create a new statement $stmt = mssql_init('test'); // Bind values here and execute the statement // once we're done, we clear it from the memory // using mssql_free_statement like so: mssql_free_statement($stmt); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_bind(3), mssql_execute(3), mssql_init(3), mssql_free_result(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FREE_STATEMENT(3)