Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help with grep printing multiple lines. Post 302626173 by m_usmanayub on Thursday 19th of April 2012 03:32:52 AM
Old 04-19-2012
Need Help with grep printing multiple lines.

I need help in printing multiple lines using a grep command.

The situation is like this.

I have a file that contains large number of lines

Now I need to find the the lines in the file such that if the word "AllServiceType" is found then the next line also gets printed.

Does anyone know how can I do that? The OS is AIX 6.1

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep on multiple lines

I 'm trying to grep 2 fieldds on 2 differnt lines. Like this: psit > file egrep -e '(NS|ES)' $file. Not working. If this succeeds then run next cmd else exit. Pls Help Gundu (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple lines

Hey guys: I've been meaning to post this question for awhile...it is regarding grep. Let's say for example that the following entry is in logxx: Wed Feb 2 07:44:11 <vsm> 91030 Line 5 Severity 1 Vps 6 Call Answered - DN:8753101 CLID:5164665761 PI:83 If I do a grep 91030... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
27 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing out multiple lines with a correct format

Hello, This is my first post and I've just started on UNIX in school. A file name "list" has the following content (excluding the numbers and the bottom part): 1 2 3 4 5 6 0123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 IT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cooolway
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Printing Multiple Lines after pattern match

Hello People, Need some assistance/guidance. OUTLINE: Two files (File1 and File2) File1 has some ids such as 009463_3922_1827 897654_8764_5432 File2 has things along the lines of: Query= 009463_3922_1827 length=252 (252 letters) More stufff here ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deep9000
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required on grep command(Skip the first few lines from printing in the output)

Hi experts I want the proper argument to the grep command so that I need to skip the first few lines(say first 10 lines) and print all the remaining instances of the grep output. I tried to use grep -m 10 "search text" file*. But this gives the first 10 instances(lines) of the search string.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep in multiple lines

hi i have kind of below text in a file. I want to get a complete paragraph starting with START and ending with before another START) which has a particular string say XYZ or ABC START XYZ hshjghkjh 45 ljkfd fldjlj d jldf START 3493u ABC 454 4545454 4545454 45454 4545454 START ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep across multiple lines

How do you grep 'select * from table_name' string from a script if the select * and from table_name are on 2 different lines ? like select * from table_name Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks RDR (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDR
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble printing multiple lines to a new file

Hi, I'm trying to auto generate some php files with a default preamble at the top which is a block comment. The problem is that my output has no new lines and it looks like the output from "ls" is being printed after everyline This is my code #!/bin/bash read -d '' pre_amble... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racshot65
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing multiple lines on the same line between specific text

This is an extract from a large file. The lines that start with fc are ports on a fabric switch. In between each fc port there is information about the port. fc2/12 is up Port description is SEIEDISCOVER-3 Speed is 4 Gbps fc2/13 is down (Administratively down) fc2/14 is up Port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies
BM(PUBLIC)																BM(PUBLIC)

NAME
bm - search a file for a string SYNOPSIS
/usr/public/bm [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Bm searches the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a string. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard out- put. It is blindingly fast. Bm strings are fixed sequences of characters: there are no wildcards, repetitions, or other features of regu- lar expressions. Bm is also case sensitive. The following options are recognized. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -c Only a count of the number of matches is printed -e string The string is the next argument after the -e flag. This allows strings beginning with '-'. -h No filenames are printed, even if multiple files are searched. -n Each line is preceded by the number of characters from the beginning of the file to the match. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -f file The string list is taken from the file. Unless the -h option is specified the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the charac- ters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the strings (listed on the command line) as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Bm searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings, using the Boyer-Moore algorithm. It is far superior in terms of speed to the grep (egrep, fgrep) family of pattern matchers for fixed-pattern searching, and its speed increases with pattern length. SEE ALSO
grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. AUTHOR
Peter Bain (pdbain@wateng), with modifications suggested by John Gilmore BUGS
Only 100 patterns are allowed. Patterns may not contain newlines. If a line (delimited by newlines, and the beginning and end of the file) is longer than 8000 charcters (e.g. in a core dump), it will not be completely printed. If multiple patterns are specified, the order of the ouput lines is not necessarily the same as the order of the input lines. A line will be printed once for each different string on that line. The algorithm cannot count lines. The -n and -c work differently from fgrep. The -v, -i, and -b are not available. 4th Berkeley Distribution 8 July 1985 BM(PUBLIC)