Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What's the difference between $* and $@ ? Post 302625175 by Skrynesaver on Tuesday 17th of April 2012 11:06:07 AM
Old 04-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Regarding the security aspect, what is probably meant by this is that $@ can be expanded into separate fields each within double quotes, thus protecting the fields from unwanted interpretation by the shell. With $* this is only possible without double quotes and so there is no protection.
And fields which contain $IFS are split when exposed without double quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where is the difference?

Hello I would like to know where there is a difference between these two machines? HP9000-735/125 HP9000-B132L What does that all mean? Okay, HP= Hewlett Packard But 9000, 725/125, B132L ???? I am asking that question because I am about to buy one for myself, so I can have some fun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fwurm
3 Replies

2. Linux

what is the difference between -h and -H ?

samba:/home/backup # df -h /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 34G 8.6G 26G 26% /home samba:/home/backup # df -H /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 37GB 9.2GB 28GB 26% /home what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cw1972
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between $* and $@

Somebody please tell me the difference between $@ and $* Thanks in advance. Saneesh Joseph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

difference

difference b/w shell scripting and perl scripting (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simmijaswal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 1,$ and /g

just wondering what the difference is between 1,$ and /g when doing a substitution in vi. doesn't seem to be much difference from what i can see. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between

$x=10 and providing the spaces between = and 10 $x= 10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashank1311
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between sh and ./

Hi All Can any body please tell me what is difference between sh scr ./scr Here scr is a script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get difference

Hi .. I am trying to create one function. It will have two arguments. Argument1: a,b,d,f,g Argument2:21212,sfsd,4546,67867,a,asda,b So the output will be Argument1 - Argument2 which is d,f,g Can anyone help with this one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
cpc_event_diff(3CPC)													      cpc_event_diff(3CPC)

NAME
cpc_event_diff, cpc_event_accum - simple difference and accumulate operations SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lcpc [ library... ] #include <libcpc.h> void cpc_event_accum(cpc_event_t *accum, cpc_event_t *event); void cpc_event_diff(cpc_event_t *diff, cpc_event_t *after, cpc_event_t *before); The cpc_event_accum() and cpc_event_diff() functions perform common accumulate and difference operations on cpc_event(3CPC) data struc- tures. Use of these functions increases program portability, since structure members are not referenced directly . cpc_event_accum() The cpc_event_accum() function adds the ce_pic fields of event into the corresponding fields of accum. The ce_hrt field of accum is set to the later of the times in event and accum. SPARC: The function adds the contents of the ce_tick field of event into the corresponding field of accum. : The function adds the contents of the ce_tsc field of event into the corresponding field of accum. cpc_event_diff() The cpc_event_diff() function places the difference between the ce_pic fields of after and before and places them in the corresponding field of diff. The ce_hrt field of diff is set to the ce_hrt field of after. SPARC: Additionally, the function computes the difference between the ce_tick fields of after and before, and places it in the corresponding field of diff. : Additionally, the function computes the difference between the ce_tsc fields of after and before, and places it in the corresponding field of diff. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpc(3CPC), cpc_buf_add(3CPC), cpc_buf_sub(3CPC), cpc_event(3CPC), libcpc(3LIB), attributes(5) The cpc_event_accum() and cpc_event_diff() functions exist for binary compatibility only. Source containing these functions will not com- pile. These functions are obsolete and might be removed in a future release. Applications should use cpc_buf_add(3CPC) and cpc_buf_sub(3CPC) instead. 28 Mar 2005 cpc_event_diff(3CPC)