Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamically choosing the interpreter Post 302624243 by hroptatyr on Monday 16th of April 2012 04:22:09 AM
Old 04-16-2012
That's not possible, I'm afraid, you can use /usr/bin/env as shebang to find the user's preferred command, or rather, the command in the user's environment. But you can't "change" the shebang dynamically.

I'd go for something like this
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

mybash=$(command -v bash 2>/dev/null)
## maybe switch to bash
if test "${0}" != "bash" -a -n "${mybash}"; then
  exec command bash $0 $@
fi

or something along the lines of that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Choosing Java or C++

Listen, if you know a bit of programming in C and need to program unix-type operating systems the next transitive stage is for sure C++. However, have in mind that Java is like learning C but 99% object-oriented(o.o.) and with no pointers or memory-management tricks. It would be good for you to see... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Choosing a version

I know that the rules say no school questions but I am in advanced topics and am going to go to college for programming and I want to find a easy first OS to start me out, please help, thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KoKo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help choosing a linux.

There are soo many flavors of linux and i just cant choose/find the right linux for me... I am hopeing for a linux that is a Workhorse Can fit of a seires (or 1) disk(s) Lots of features (admin/mod features) A learning mode or a detailed tutorial Can work side by side with windows... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lithuaniaakid
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choosing secure and stable OS

I would like to choose an OS which is both very secure and very stable. Which one of these 2 would be the best option: FreeBSD or Solaris 10 ? I plan to use this OS as a very basic desktop pc using: a word processing program, emule/amule/p2p and an email client such as evolution. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rivo
1 Replies

5. Linux

Choosing the best distro.

Hi all Help me find the best distro for the following configurations: Intel pentium IV 1.6 Ghz 128 MB RAM :( 40 GB Hardisk with one very big partition more than 35 gb n another 2 gb partition. windows xp is already installed but has enough free space (26gb). Which linux will be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

6. Slackware

Help for choosing Slackware

Dear Friends, If I use Slackware for learning whether it will make any confusion in administering/using Redhat and SuSE since I have checked slackware is more like BSD. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Choosing best location for authorized_keys!

Hello Friends, I am trying to troubleshoot one scenario for the customer. In their server configuration, each vhost has it's own user. The option is to shell access chrooted. The question is where would be the best place to store the authorized_keys file so that we can ssh in from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user3528
0 Replies

8. Linux

Choosing a UNIX

i have a project in numerical calculus in c language what unix i get better for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
7 Replies

9. Linux

Help choosing distro

Hi, I just ordered an Skylake NUC and will run Linux on it. My distro of choice has been Ubuntu but I am fed up with the release cycle and would like more of a rolling release. I would say I am an intermediate level Linux user. It's going to be a HTPC, I want to have the latest kernels... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rthorntn
0 Replies
whereis(1)						      General Commands Manual							whereis(1)

NAME
whereis - Locates files for programs SYNOPSIS
whereis [-bms] [-u] [-BMS directory... -f] program... The whereis command locates source, binary, and/or reference page files for the specified program program. OPTIONS
The -b, -m, and -s options can be used in combination to restrict the search. Searches for an executable program. Searches for the refer- ence page for a program. Searches for the sources of a program. Use the -B, -M, and -S options to change or limit the places whereis searches. Specifies the binary directories to search. Specifies the reference page directories to search. Specifies the source directories to search. The other options that can be used with whereis are as follows: Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of program names. Used with other options to indicate when there is no file for program in the default or specified directory or directories (source, binary, or reference page). DESCRIPTION
The whereis program locates source, binary, and reference pages for the specified programs. When looking for a match, the program names are stripped of leading pathname components and any trailing extensions of the form (for example, s. resulting from the use of the Source Code Control System see sccs(1), are also handled. The default directories searched by the whereis command are as follows: /etc /etc/nls /sbin /usr/bin /usr/lbin /usr/lbin/spell /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lib /usr/local /usr/hosts /usr/sbin EXAMPLES
To find files matching cat in the default source, binary, and reference directories, enter: whereis cat To search for reference pages for app13 in the directory /usr/local/man, enter: whereis -M /usr/local/man -f -f appl3 To find the programs in /usr/bin that do not have ref- erence pages in /usr/share/man/man1 with source files in /usr/src/cmd, enter: whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f /usr/bin/* To find which files in the current directory either have no reference pages in the default reference directories or have more than one, enter: whereis -m -u * FILES
Default binary directories. Default binary directories. Default reference directories. Default source directories. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), find(1), man(1), which(1), catman(8) whereis(1)