Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rebooting HMC
Operating Systems AIX rebooting HMC Post 302624241 by gito on Monday 16th of April 2012 04:15:11 AM
Old 04-16-2012
Do you have one or 2 HMCs ?

I had problem with power5 servers sometimes they needed 24h or more to connect HMC. Probably it is related to dhcp expiration

If you have 2 HMCs - you can use second one to force network renew in ASMI

If you have physical access to server disconnect FSP (HMC) ports directly from managed system wait 1 min and connect them back they should rediscover faster.

If you have only remote access you can disable port on switch and connect it back.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

soft rebooting

When I do a hard reboot, the system recognizes both the ttya and the ttyb, but when I do a hard reboot, it only doesn't recognize the ttyb. Is there a way I can fix this??? Thanks!:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattie_h
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems when rebooting the system

Hi ! I am working on a server. We have ABAQUS installed on it. I added a compiler to .env file and added usr/local...../IMSL/... to the path. Then i restarted the computer and I get this error: when I am doing interactive option (Red hat Lunix OS) Start service local Yes/no/Continue? no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsmv
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server rebooting frequently

O/P of the uname -a Server Server 4.0 3.0 3516 Pentium IV(TM)-ISA/PCI Server is getting rebooted frequetly... I don't know what is the problem in server ... Any help why the server is getting rebooted frequetly. Can i check what is the problem like in log files (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
5 Replies

4. Solaris

rebooting resetting loop

while installing unix solaris I found that one of the CD's is corupted so I bring another copy of solaris CD's and type reboot instead of 'reboot cdrom' then the server goes in infinite loop of rebooting resetting??I tried to use ctrl+break but didnt work....how can I break this loop....plz help?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to 'su' to other user when rebooting the server

Hi All, I have created one script with starting letter 'S' (Example: Start) and stored in the path "/etc/rc.d/". This script was called automatically when we reboot the server. In this script i am using 'su' command to switch other user but it is not working, it giving some error. su... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
2 Replies

6. Linux

Rebooting Mounted servers

Hi All, We have two servers DSERV1(red hat 8.0) and DSERV2(scounix 3.2) where DSERV1 is the NFS server and DSERV2 is the NFS client. We want to reboot these servers and wanted to know the steps(precautions) we have to follow in order to do this. After reboot should we do anything specific to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

7. AIX

hmc not rebooting

Anyone faced this? I rebooted the HMC through command line after patch installation (hmcshutdown -t now -r) The strange thing happened was the hmc never rebooted, I was not able to connect it through graphical view or through ssh, but the session through which i issued the command was still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

8. Solaris

error while rebooting box

I got following while whenver i reboot my box WARNING: add_spec: No major number for hpfc WARNING: add_spec: No major number for hpfc Error: Unable to init open counts. Kernel struct change? and hpfc is related to agilent fiber channel driver .. i do not know why it requires as i 've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Server rebooting unexpectedly

hi, I have been working on Solaris am very new to linux. My concern is as it goes....our server is getting rebooted automatically and I am not able to understand anything from the var log messages. Could anybody help me out in troubleshooting the issue. 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 x86_64 GNU/Linux is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Rebooting a career

Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this. I used to have a job supporting several custom applications that ran on Unix platforms. I used shell scripting, sed, awk, and SQL, but all on a pretty basic level. I also performed non-technical tasks like helping with project management,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: intranslation
4 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)