Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: List the file with a dot
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List the file with a dot Post 302623809 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 14th of April 2012 04:54:56 PM
Old 04-14-2012
@alfonsopilato. Hi, there is not such thing as an extension on Unix. So humans may call it that way, but for the system it is a file with a dot somewhere in the name (a dot at the beginning does have a special meaning of course as it designates a hidden file etc).

Code:
$ touch .test
$ ls -l .*test
-rw-r--r--  1 me       staff  0 Apr 14 22:53 .test

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-14-2012 at 06:28 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace path in a file with dot

Hi, I have a file with below values. /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/dsenv.orig /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/dsenv /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/.cshrc /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/.login... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoshi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to list dot files

hey. i am a bit new to unix and i am trying to figure out how to list the names of the 'dot' files that are in my account. what command does this? thank you very much for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jakeman1086
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use dot file in linux

Hi, I am creating a phonebook to store the name:phone:address.The phonebook is used to store, edit,delete and list the data. Now i need to use text file(dot files) for configuration (saving and loading selections). I really don't know how to do that. Please help thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolgal
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goraya430
1 Replies

5. Programming

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf, "ss_xxx.pc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goraya430
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a word in a multiple file starting at the dot extension

hi I would like to ask if someone knows a command or a script on how to rename a multiple file in the directory starting at the end of the filename or at the .extension( i would like to remove the last 11 character before the extension) for example Below is the result of my command ls inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Removing a dot from a file name?

I need a script that will allow me to rename all of my files in subdir /FilesIn as follows: From kumc_835_111200.RMT.dat to kumc_835_111200RMT.dat kumc_835_111200.KMR.dat to kumc_835_111200KMR.dat .................etc How do I do that whithout doing a sed ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing dot history file

Hi, I tried to grep ".sh_history" (DOTsh_history) file and did not return anything though I found the word in .sh _history file through vi editor in Linux. Then I tried to grep ".profile" to check if it is the prob with hidden files and I got results. Then I verified the same with my friend... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove. (dot) if found in the beginning of file name while doing wget (download)?

Dear All, How to remove. (dot) if found in the beginning of file name while doing wget (download)? I am facing problem while re-sizing the image by using ImageMagick. Two dots in the file name are causing problem. ImageMagick is skipping such image with a dot . in the beginning, like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename except dot file extension

After reading the manual of the command rename I would like to apply it to a folder with a couple of files containing old style dots before the file-type, e.g. up.to.the.roof.avi. So I'd like to rename them without the dots in between. Therefore I tried it the following way rename -f -n ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
4 Replies
Bio::TreeIO::svggraph(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Bio::TreeIO::svggraph(3pm)

NAME
Bio::TreeIO::svggraph - A simple output format that converts a Tree object to an SVG output SYNOPSIS
use Bio::TreeIO; my $in = Bio::TreeIO->new(-file => 'input', -format => 'newick'); my $out = Bio::TreeIO->new(-file => '>output', -format => 'svggraph'); while( my $tree = $in->next_tree ) { my $svg_xml = $out->write_tree($tree); } DESCRIPTION
This outputs a tree as an SVG graphic using the SVG::Graph API FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Brian OConnor Email brian.oconnor-at-excite.com CONTRIBUTORS
Allen Day Guillaume Rousse, Guillaume-dot-Rousse-at-inria-dot-fr APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Title : new Usage : my $obj = Bio::TreeIO::svggraph->new(); Function: Builds a new Bio::TreeIO::svggraph object Returns : Bio::TreeIO::svggraph Args :-width => image width (default 1600) -height => image height (default 1000) -margin => margin (default 30) -stroke => stroke color (default 'black') -stroke_width=> stroke width (default 2) -font_size=> font size (default '10px') -nomalize => undef or 'log' (default is undef) write_tree Title : write_tree Usage : $treeio->write_tree($tree); Function: Write a tree out to data stream in newick/phylip format Returns : none Args : Bio::Tree::TreeI object decorateRoot Title : _decorateRoot Usage : internal methods Function: Example : Returns : Args : next_tree Title : next_tree Usage : Function: Sorry not possible with this format Returns : none Args : none perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::TreeIO::svggraph(3pm)