Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: List the file with a dot
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List the file with a dot Post 302623789 by alfonsopilato on Saturday 14th of April 2012 03:42:55 PM
Old 04-14-2012
Hi everyone,

I'm by no means an expert on the topic, however it has occured to me that

Code:
ls -la .*test

will not work

because the bash interpreter will decode this as "look for all files that have an extention whose patters is : <any combination >test.

what I'm trying to say is the dot (.) is interpreted here as the extension delimiter. It is not interpreted as "files that are hidden".

I tested ls -la .*test on gentoo linux and it definitely does not return the hidden file called "test".

In my own simplistic way, because I'm not a pro, I worked out the following solution (I'm certain there are better):

Code:
ls -la | grep 'test'

I realise it's listing EVERYTHING and only grabbing whatever has the pattern "test" in it, and this may or may not be what you want, however that's what I was able to summon with my limited knowledge and free time.

Please, I invite you to refine my search.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-14-2012 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: lingo, code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace path in a file with dot

Hi, I have a file with below values. /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/dsenv.orig /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/dsenv /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/.cshrc /uvxapps/etl/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/.login... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoshi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to list dot files

hey. i am a bit new to unix and i am trying to figure out how to list the names of the 'dot' files that are in my account. what command does this? thank you very much for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jakeman1086
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use dot file in linux

Hi, I am creating a phonebook to store the name:phone:address.The phonebook is used to store, edit,delete and list the data. Now i need to use text file(dot files) for configuration (saving and loading selections). I really don't know how to do that. Please help thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolgal
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goraya430
1 Replies

5. Programming

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf, "ss_xxx.pc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goraya430
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a word in a multiple file starting at the dot extension

hi I would like to ask if someone knows a command or a script on how to rename a multiple file in the directory starting at the end of the filename or at the .extension( i would like to remove the last 11 character before the extension) for example Below is the result of my command ls inside... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Removing a dot from a file name?

I need a script that will allow me to rename all of my files in subdir /FilesIn as follows: From kumc_835_111200.RMT.dat to kumc_835_111200RMT.dat kumc_835_111200.KMR.dat to kumc_835_111200KMR.dat .................etc How do I do that whithout doing a sed ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing dot history file

Hi, I tried to grep ".sh_history" (DOTsh_history) file and did not return anything though I found the word in .sh _history file through vi editor in Linux. Then I tried to grep ".profile" to check if it is the prob with hidden files and I got results. Then I verified the same with my friend... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove. (dot) if found in the beginning of file name while doing wget (download)?

Dear All, How to remove. (dot) if found in the beginning of file name while doing wget (download)? I am facing problem while re-sizing the image by using ImageMagick. Two dots in the file name are causing problem. ImageMagick is skipping such image with a dot . in the beginning, like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename except dot file extension

After reading the manual of the command rename I would like to apply it to a folder with a couple of files containing old style dots before the file-type, e.g. up.to.the.roof.avi. So I'd like to rename them without the dots in between. Therefore I tried it the following way rename -f -n ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
4 Replies
GO-TESTFLAG(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					    GO-TESTFLAG(7)

NAME
go - tool for managing Go source code DESCRIPTION
The 'go test' command takes both flags that apply to 'go test' itself and flags that apply to the resulting test binary. The test binary, called pkg.test, where pkg is the name of the directory containing the package sources, has its own flags: -test.v Verbose output: log all tests as they are run. -test.run pattern Run only those tests and examples matching the regular expression. -test.bench pattern Run benchmarks matching the regular expression. By default, no benchmarks run. -test.cpuprofile cpu.out Write a CPU profile to the specified file before exiting. -test.memprofile mem.out Write a memory profile to the specified file when all tests are complete. -test.memprofilerate n Enable more precise (and expensive) memory profiles by setting runtime.MemProfileRate. See 'godoc runtime MemProfileRate'. To pro- file all memory allocations, use -test.memprofilerate=1 and set the environment variable GOGC=off to disable the garbage collector, provided the test can run in the available memory without garbage collection. -test.parallel n Allow parallel execution of test functions that call t.Parallel. The value of this flag is the maximum number of tests to run simultaneously; by default, it is set to the value of GOMAXPROCS. -test.short Tell long-running tests to shorten their run time. It is off by default but set during all.bash so that installing the Go tree can run a sanity check but not spend time running exhaustive tests. -test.timeout t If a test runs longer than t, panic. -test.benchtime n Run enough iterations of each benchmark to take n seconds. The default is 1 second. -test.cpu 1,2,4 Specify a list of GOMAXPROCS values for which the tests or benchmarks should be executed. The default is the current value of GOMAXPROCS. For convenience, each of these -test.X flags of the test binary is also available as the flag -X in 'go test' itself. Flags not listed here are passed through unaltered. For instance, the command go test -x -v -cpuprofile=prof.out -dir=testdata -update will compile the test binary and then run it as pkg.test -test.v -test.cpuprofile=prof.out -dir=testdata -update AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Michael Stapelberg <stapelberg@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). 2012-05-13 GO-TESTFLAG(7)