Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep -F, what is it good for? Post 302623745 by intelinside on Saturday 14th of April 2012 01:25:10 PM
Old 04-14-2012
grep -F, what is it good for?

Hello, Unix-Forums!

I have a simple question:

I cannot see any difference between
Code:
grep [expression] [file]

and

Code:
grep -F [expression] [file]

The help says that "PATTERN is a set of newline-separated fixed strings"

Isn't this default anyway?
I'm a little bit confused.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good Example on $|

I am trying to learn how to use the predefined var. I did read perlvar - perldoc.perl.org but like much of the perl docs, I just dont "see" the explanation. Can someone explain its usage to me. Id like to buffer printing on occasion. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a good way to grep multiple directories without --include?

Hello. I consider myself a journeyman Unix user. I can handle most day to day tasks and have created some fairly complicated command queries, but this problem has defeated me so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated! We keep an archive in the file system with a directory structure in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pauliesyllabic
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What is good?

Hello everyone, I am using centos, 1) solaris is free right? 2) I want to learn solaris and install it in a computer that I am mounting, I would like know what is strong in solaris and if do it is wise. I am programmer python, learning machine and programming in general,..any help thanks,.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)