Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sorting file names with hyphen and underscore Post 302623535 by rider29 on Friday 13th of April 2012 07:31:47 PM
Old 04-13-2012
sorting file names with hyphen and underscore

Hi,

I have two types of file names

filename1_12345 or filename1-12345 at the same time I have second type
filename2-12345 in a txt file.

I am trying to write awk script that will sort these names with below pattern

ALL file names like
filename1_12345 and filename1-12345 will go to folder1 (lets say same directory)
filename1_23451and filenmae1_23451 will go to folder2

filename1_34512 and filename1_34512 will go to folder 3

till 9

and rest all filename2- whaterever will go to folder-temp

all the these files are listed in a txt file and I can use move command to move.

can you please give me a direction to sort for numbers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting names after doing a find

hi all, is there an easy way in ksh to sort the results of a find in say alphabetical order ?? e.g in my script i am doing a find for all servers find . -name "server.xml" and the output is not in any order. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to create any file name start with "-" hyphen in Solaris

Hi All, I am not able to create any file name start with "-" hyphen. Any logical issue with these types of files creation in Solaris. ============================== bash-3.00$ touch -file.txt touch: illegal option -- i usage: touch file... touch ] file... touch ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh function getopts get leading underscore unless preceded by hyphen

If I call my function with grouped options: "logm -TDIWEFO 'message' ", then only the "T" gets parsed correctly. The subsequent values returned have underscores prefixed to the value: "_D", "_I", etc. If I "logm -T -DIWEFO 'message' ", the "T" and the "D" are OK, but "I" through "O" get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchriste
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting file based on names

Hi I have some files in directory and the names of files are like jnhld_15233_2010-11-23 jnhld_15233_2007-10-01 jnhld_15233_2001-05-04 jnhld_15233_2011-11-11 jnhld_15233_2005-06-07 jnhld_15233_2000-04-01 ..etc How can i sort these files based on the date in the file name so that ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename file after second occurence of underscore

I am trying to use bash to remove the text in all filenames after the second _ in specific files that end in .bam or .vcf. However the bash errors looking for the files in the directory. Thank you :). files in directory ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a column according to the number of names

Hey, So I'm having issues sorting a data set. The data set contains entries as such; # key: sex, time, athlete, athlete's nationality, date, city, country M, 2:30:57.6, Harry Payne, GBR, 1929-07-05, Stamford Bridge, England M, 2:5:42, Khalid Khannouchi, MAR, 1999-10-24, Chicago, USA M,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DNM_UKN
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a space with underscore in a file

i have a file with following data. { EqName "Tan 1" .... .... } { EqName "Sin 2" ... ... } I have to replace the value of EqName to Tan_1 and Sin_2 in file.Can i use sed or awk ? cat file|grep EqName|awk '{print $2 $3}'|sed -i 's//_/g' I tried with this but it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jag02
2 Replies
bdiff(1)							   User Commands							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - big diff SYNOPSIS
bdiff filename1 filename2 [n] [-s] DESCRIPTION
bdiff is used in a manner analogous to diff to find which lines in filename1 and filename2 must be changed to bring the files into agree- ment. Its purpose is to allow processing of files too large for diff. If filename1 (filename2) is -, the standard input is read. bdiff ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainder of each file into n-line segments, and invokes diff on cor- responding segments. If both optional arguments are specified, they must appear in the order indicated above. The output of bdiff is exactly that of diff, with line numbers adjusted to account for the segmenting of the files (that is, to make it look as if the files had been processed whole). Note: Because of the segmenting of the files, bdiff does not necessarily find a smallest sufficient set of file differences. OPTIONS
n The number of line segments. The value of n is 3500 by default. If the optional third argument is given and it is numeric, it is used as the value for n. This is useful in those cases in which 3500-line segments are too large for diff, causing it to fail. -s Specifies that no diagnostics are to be printed by bdiff (silent option). Note: However, this does not suppress possible diagnos- tic messages from diff, which bdiff calls. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of bdiff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/bd????? ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use help for explanations. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 bdiff(1)