Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing certain lines with another set of lines Post 302623207 by rbatte1 on Friday 13th of April 2012 09:43:19 AM
Old 04-13-2012
It would be better so see the example you are working on. For me personally, this is just a bit abstract. By all means, sanitise it to remove anything sensitive, but it would be useful to know.

If you are simply looking for a vi command to replace strings in a specific range of rows in a file (i.e. your script) then if you place the cursor at the start line of the range and press CNTL-G, you will get the line number displayed, e.g. line 123. Do the same at the end and let's say that tells you it's line 456. You can then issue something like:-
Code:
:123,456 s/searchstring/replacestring/

This will replace between lines 123 to 456 inclusive the first occurence on each line. If you want every occurrence on each line, then it's:-
Code:
:123,456 s/searchstring/replacestring/g

I hope that this helps, but if I've missed the point, please explain more of what you want to acheive and show us the source.

Is the script beyond a re-design where you write this as a function and pass in the parameters to test/respond with?

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Last edited by rbatte1; 04-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Include the re-design question

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines

i have a file : sample1.txt OBJECT="POINT" ACTION="REDEFINE" POINT_NAME="ABCD001G " GHYT_POPRIORITY_1="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_2="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_3="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_4="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_USER="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_1="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_2="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_3="1" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing new lines in all files of a directory containing old lines

Hi all, I am trying to replace a few lines with other lines of all files in a directory which contain those few lines. say - there are some 10 files in a dir having the same 4 lines as 1.txt at the starting 1.txt line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ....................................... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooster005
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing blank lines

Hi i am trying to replace blank lines with a number 0. I tried the following code awk '{print NF ? $0: blankrow}' blankrow = "0" file1.prg>file2.prg however i get the following error: fatal: cannot open file `blankrow' for reading (No such file or directory) file example: 1 2 3 5 6... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing lines of code

I have a file that has a lot of sets of a few lines of code I need to replace start keyword1 stuff keyword2 end important stuff in between start keyword1 stuff keyword3 end I want to replace each set of code (from start, to end, with a single line, call this finalcode) I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two lines of diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename . In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific lines with another lines

Hi, I have a file with many lines, then i have following list of lines(line number 5,12,19,5,and 28) i need to replace these lines of a file with another lines as shown below these text contains special charecter like= (/:;){} Line_number Text to replace with 5 abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MILAN KUMAR
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome... All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed. Here's what I did come up with though: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. It is slightly different from my previous question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers (but no more than 10 numbers in series) whenever i find it and produce an output file with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)