Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which is a recommended method of partitioning Disk? Post 302621711 by pinga123 on Wednesday 11th of April 2012 12:19:33 AM
Old 04-11-2012
Which is a recommended method of partitioning Disk?

I m not sure if this is a right question to ask .

During the installation of the OS, installation sw does partitioning for you.
I m not quit sure if they have used parted or fdisk to partition the disk.
(If they are using fdisk then you can't make partition > 2Tb )correct me if i m wrong.Also it is recommended to use parted as fdisk is going to be deprecated .

Is this a recommended way to partition or we should use a standard utility to partition the disk first and then Use install CD/usb to install the OS.

Hope this is not a weird question asked here.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partitioning HD

I would like to install Redhat 7.2 on my Windows machine. I only have one hard drive and I dont want to lose Windows. Which method is best for partitioning the HD? I tried it once with Partition Magic and I was installing Corel Linux First Edition and Corel wiped out my entire HD (not good when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk partitioning to use UNIX

Hello, To run UNIX, can the hard disk be partitioned so I could use that part for UNIX and the other for my existing Windows '98? At the moment there are hard drives C: & D:. Also, where can I obtain the UNIX software?.....Your response is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help: Sun Disk partitioning for Sun V240 & StorEdge 3300

Dear Sun gurus, I have Sun Fire V240 server with its StorEdge 3300 disk-array. Following are its disks appeared in format command. I have prepared its partitions thru format and metainit & metattach (may be i have made wrong steps, causing the errors below because I have done thru some document... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafeeq
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partitioning script for rescue mode (disk size calculation)

Hello! I need to write partitioning script wich would work in rescue mode. It will prepare partitions and unpack linux on it. However I need to calculate whole size of the disk and create: /dev/sda1 --> One big partition (minus (2*size of memory) for swap) /dev/sda2 --> Swap partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pug123
1 Replies

5. Solaris

disk partitioning

Total disk size is 38912 cylinders Cylinder size is 32130 (512 byte) blocks Cylinders Partition Status Type Start End Length % ========= ====== ============ ===== === ====== === ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Partitioning hard disk. Want 8 slices...have 9

Hi all I'm having difficulty setting up a proper disk structure on a 72GB HDD. The drive was previously part of a zfs pool. The zpool has ben destroyed and now I want to use the disk in a raid 5 array. I need to partition the disk accordingly though. This is what the partition table currently... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Disk partitioning commands for RHEL5

I'm new to Linux 5, going through initial phases of installation and setting up devices, etc,, and much to my surprise discovered also an existence of a 2nd hard drive to try to initialize and partition perhaps using any built-in command i.e. "fdisk" or similar, but I couldn't get the command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: su
4 Replies

8. Solaris

svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ n

After a memory upgrade all network interfaces are misconfigued. How do i resolve this issue. Below are some out puts.thanks. ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig eg1000g0:2 plumb ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg1000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersonedouard
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Partitioning newly added disk to Redhat

Hi Everyone, I have added new Virtual disk to OS. The main point is I need to bring this whole Disk into LVM control, is it necessary to partition the disk using fdisk command and assign partition type as '8e', or can I directly add that disk into LVM, by running pvcreate command with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies
PARTED(8)							 GNU Parted Manual							 PARTED(8)

NAME
GNU Parted - a partition manipulation program SYNOPSIS
parted [options] [device [command [options...]...]] DESCRIPTION
parted is a program to manipulate disk partitions. It supports multiple partition table formats, including MS-DOS and GPT. It is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganising disk usage, and copying data to new hard disks. This manual page documents parted briefly. Complete documentation is distributed with the package in GNU Info format. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message -l, --list lists partition layout on all block devices -m, --machine displays machine parseable output -s, --script never prompts for user intervention -v, --version displays the version -a alignment-type, --align alignment-type Set alignment for newly created partitions, valid alignment types are: none Use the minimum alignment allowed by the disk type. cylinder Align partitions to cylinders. minimal Use minimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This and the opt value will use layout information provided by the disk to align the logical partition table addresses to actual physical blocks on the disks. The min value is the min- imum alignment needed to align the partition properly to physical blocks, which avoids performance degradation. optimal Use optimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This aligns to a multiple of the physical block size in a way that guarantees optimal performance. COMMANDS
[device] The block device to be used. When none is given, parted will use the first block device it finds. [command [options]] Specifies the command to be executed. If no command is given, parted will present a command prompt. Possible commands are: help [command] Print general help, or help on command if specified. align-check type partition Check if partition satisfies the alignment constraint of type. type must be "minimal" or "optimal". mklabel label-type Create a new disklabel (partition table) of label-type. label-type should be one of "aix", "amiga", "bsd", "dvh", "gpt", "loop", "mac", "msdos", "pc98", or "sun". mkpart part-type [fs-type] start end Make a part-type partition for filesystem fs-type (if specified), beginning at start and ending at end (by default in megabytes). part-type should be one of "primary", "logical", or "extended". name partition name Set the name of partition to name. This option works only on Mac, PC98, and GPT disklabels. The name can be placed in quotes, if necessary. print Display the partition table. quit Exit from parted. rescue start end Rescue a lost partition that was located somewhere between start and end. If a partition is found, parted will ask if you want to create an entry for it in the partition table. rm partition Delete partition. select device Choose device as the current device to edit. device should usually be a Linux hard disk device, but it can be a partition, software raid device, or an LVM logical volume if necessary. set partition flag state Change the state of the flag on partition to state. Supported flags are: "boot", "root", "swap", "hidden", "raid", "lvm", "lba", "legacy_boot" and "palo". state should be either "on" or "off". unit unit Set unit as the unit to use when displaying locations and sizes, and for interpreting those given by the user when not suf- fixed with an explicit unit. unit can be one of "s" (sectors), "B" (bytes), "kB", "MB", "MiB", "GB", "GiB", "TB", "TiB", "%" (percentage of device size), "cyl" (cylinders), "chs" (cylinders, heads, sectors), or "compact" (megabytes for input, and a human-friendly form for output). toggle partition flag Toggle the state of flag on partition. version Display version information and a copyright message. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-parted@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), mkfs(8), The parted program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU partitioning software manual. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). parted 2007 March 29 PARTED(8)