Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Problem with mail utility on linux Post 302621423 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 10th of April 2012 11:11:33 AM
Old 04-10-2012
This post has been hidden from public view by a moderator.

Yes he is the one we were discussing.. I made another observation here: NIS server

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail problem (NOT Mail or Mail.app)

When I try to use the CLI mail, I get the following error. What's wrong? Welcome to Darwin! % mail root Subject: test test . EOT % /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory Do I just need to change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python+Linux: CTRL-ALT-DEL Ncurses Utility

I have this NCurses utility that prompts for user input and takes action appropriately, I changed the default action for the three finger'd salute to run this utility instead of restarting the system. This is a problem: Printing to stdout happens immediately, but before anything else (such as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with tip utility in unix

Hi , I have wrote a telnet clinet application to interact with remote system . This program takes the screen shots for every interaction and send back to us. After connecting to remote machine , i want to call tip utility to interact with a device which is connected to one remote system. Now my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadvsda
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

redhat linux mail server problem

we are using redhat linux,configured the postfix as mail server and outlook is used as mail client.whenever the user opens outlook it is start downloading all the mails from the server. Example : If a user has 50 mails in the server,whenever he opens the outlook the outlook will start... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh2k3
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix / Linux Dialog Utility - how to open 2+ more dialog windows ?

Hi, example of Unix / Linux dialog utility is below. I am going to use dialog as simple GUI for testing of a modem. So I need to combine some dialog boxes into one. I need to have input box, output box, info box, dialog box, radiobox as in any standard program with graphical user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

problem in linux ubuntu 10.10 about mail command

Hi, My question is that is there any substitute command for mail in ubuntu because I'm trying to run it and it is showing error: command not found!! Will it need to download any specific package? If so please tell me how can I download that pkg. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nageshgautam
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux mail format problem

I am trying to use Linux mail command on red hat linux. It is working fine except when there is hardcoded "\n" characters in the file content i want to send. It is literally taking "\n" as text and message is not getting formatted to give newliine effect. I am using the following command: cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fundoo.code
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail utility not displaying escape sequences

Hello! I created a file that displays text underlined. However when I pass the file into the mail utility it doesnt display the underline. Here is the code: echo "\n\033 cat test_underline.txt mail -s "testing of underline" <email_address> < test_underline.txt Any ideas?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DPERTS
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX mail utility

Hi, I work on a Middleware application which is installed on Windows, but its file System is on HP UNIX. I am supposed to change the SMTP host address for my application. But I am not able to find the file where the old SMTP host would have been configured/hardcoded. Can anyone assist me on this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
2 Replies
BIFF(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   BIFF(1)

NAME
biff -- be notified if mail arrives and who it is from SYNOPSIS
biff [ny] DESCRIPTION
Biff informs the system whether you want to be notified when mail arrives during the current terminal session. Options supported by biff: n Disables notification. y Enables notification. When mail notification is enabled, the header and first few lines of the message will be printed on your screen whenever mail arrives. A ``biff y'' command is often included in the file .login or .profile to be executed at each login. Biff operates asynchronously via the comsat(8) service. If that service is not enabled, biff will not do anything. In that case, or for syn- chronous notification, use the MAIL variable of sh(1) or the mail variable of csh(1). SEE ALSO
csh(1), mail(1), sh(1), comsat(8) HISTORY
The biff command appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
su(1), and biff don't seem to get on too well. This is probably due to the tty still being owned by the person using su. This can result in ``Permission denied'' messages when attempting to change the biff status of your session. Please report bugs to netbug@ftp.uk.linux.org including diffs/patches, compiler error logs or as complete a bug report as is possible. Linux NetKit (0.17-pre-20000412) July 31, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17-pre-20000412)