Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading the values from a file in C Shell for loop Post 302620609 by raghu.iv85 on Monday 9th of April 2012 12:22:43 AM
Old 04-09-2012
reading the values from a file in C Shell for loop

Hi All,

I need small help on for loop syntax in C shell.

How can we read the values from a file (line by line) through C shell loop.

For Ex:
Code:
$Cat file1
data1
data2
data3
data4
$

I have to print those values in a variable and have to perform some steps...

Can anyone help on this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
VRN

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading from a file and assigning values

HI I have something like this in a file ABC = 1 DEF = 2 GHI = 3 JKL = 4 MNO = 5 QRS = 6 TUV = 7 I need to assign ABC to V_abc (that is to a variable) GHI to V_ghi (that is to another variable) TUV to say V_tuv ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the values in text file using while loop in shell script

Hi Frdz while read line do name=`echo $line | cut -d' ' -f 1 ` password=`echo $line | cut -d`-` -f 2` name > logfile.txt password > logfile.txt done < list.txt When it is run, am getting last values in list.txt file only,it is not storing lall the list entry values. How can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading values from a file using DB2 SQL

I have some alphbetical codes in that (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading values from a file

Hi I have a file in the following format AFUE 0. AOXI 0. VFUE 100.0 VOXI 274.601 TFUE 298. TOXI 2229.544 TMAX 2400. What I want to do is write a bash script, that use either perl/awk or sed to read the number after VFUE and VOXI (which is 100.0 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values in while loop

I'm having trouble with a simple piece of code. IFS=, echo "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8" | while read x y do echo "x=$x" echo "y=$y" done I'm hoping for x=1 y=2 x=3 y=4 . . . but I'm getting x=1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabbata
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading off values from a large file

Hi, I have a large output file (star.log), with many lines of the following type *** T vavg unburnt: 723.187 / burnt: 2662.000 What I would like to do is pick the values 723.187 and 2662.000 and What I've got so far is awk '/unburnt:.*burnt:/{Tu=$6;Tb=$NF}END{print Tu, Tb}'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and Comparing values of file

Hi gurus.. Am reading a file, counting number of lines and storing it in a variable. Then am passing that variable into If loop for comparision, if the number of lines are greater than 1000 it should split a file if not it should send the file name to archive folder.. but when i execute the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Xml file and print the values into the text file in columnwise?

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
4 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)