Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Does hypervisor(virtualbox) can own a specific hardware Post 302620147 by jao_madn on Saturday 7th of April 2012 08:54:32 AM
Old 04-07-2012
Does hypervisor(virtualbox) can own a specific hardware

Hi,

I would like to ask about the hypervisor, in my case im currently using oracle virtualbox, If a certain VM machine can own a single device or card (ex. pci audio mic/speaker card). i know in virtual box features, USB FILTER for usb device but how about the expansion card like audio in/out card.lets just say i want two windows xp vm machine with individual/independent speaker in and out for audio conversation. and not using the host audio in/out

Thanks in advance for any input.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

OpenSolaris on VirtualBox

I've just installed VirtualBox on my PC and installed OpenSolaris as a virtual machine within it. The PC connects to the internet via a router and uses DHCP to get its IP address. How do I configure the OpenSolaris virtual machine to use the same DHCP server so I can connect it to the net. At the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
4 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

NetBSD on VirtualBox

Hello, guys! I use Ubuntu 9.04 as desktop operating system and I want to make some tests on NetBSD. I tried to install as a virtual sistem on VirtualBox but it doesn't want to install. You can see the error in the attached file. Do you guys have any clue about what the problem could be? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installation of Xen hypervisor

I want the steps to install Xen hypervisor (with Domain 0) on linux kernel 2.6.38.8 on ubuntu.Actually there are many links for the steps but each link shows differenet commands.So I want a precise note containing the steps for installation of Xen:wall: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratibha
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Hardware faulty, but which hardware?

Hi folk, I have this hardware faunty message, but dont know which hardware is this ? can you guide me ? --------------- ------------------------------------ -------------- --------- TIME EVENT-ID MSG-ID SEVERITY ---------------... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
9 Replies

5. IP Networking

Clone on virtualBox

Hello; Please,I did the clone on virtualBox, but the machines have the same IP address: eth2 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 8:00:27: f0: 92:19 inet addr: 192.168.1.4 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0 how to change the address please? Thank you so much (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
6 Replies

6. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

VirtualBox

I want to change my virtual box disk to immutable. When I try to do that I get the following error. Error changing medium type from Normal to Immutable. Cannot change the type of medium '/root/VirtualBox VMs/fedora13/fedora13.vmdk' because it is attached to 1 virtual machines Please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur Goyal
2 Replies

7. Linux

Linux Kernel Config Scopes within VM or Hypervisor

In production we're going to deploy a redis server and need to set the overcommit_memory and disable Transparent Huge Pages in Kernel. The issue is currently we only have one giant server, and it is to be shared by many other apps. We only want those kernel configs in the redis server. I wonder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freedombird9
0 Replies
7(16 December 2012)													       7(16 December 2012)

NAME
dsp - Open Sound System audio devices DESCRIPTION
/dev/dsp is the default audio device in the system. It's connected to the main speakers and the primary recording source (such as micro- phone). The system administrator can set /dev/dsp to be a symbolic link to the desired default device. The ossinfo utility can be used to list the available audio devices in the system. /dev/dsp_mmap, /dev/dsp_ac3, /dev/dsp_multich and /dev/dsp_spdifout are default audio devices for specific applications such as games or media (DVD) players. DIRECT ACCESS AUDIO DEVICE FILES
OSS 4.0 (and later) will create audio devices under /dev/oss/<device> directory. For example /dev/oss/sblive0/pcm0 is the first audio device that belongs to the first Sound Blaster Live! or Audigy card in the system. These direct devices are used when an application needs to access specific audio device (instead of the default one). You can use the ossinfo(1) utility with the -a option to get a list of the available audio devices in the system. LEGACY AUDIO DEVICE FILES
Traditionally OSS has created device files like /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN for each audio device in the system. OSS 4.0 still supports this legacy naming. These files are symbolic links to the actual device files located under /dev/oss. The ossdevlinks(8) utility is used to manage these links and it will be automatically invoked when OSS is started. COMPATIBILITY
o The /dev/dsp (default() audio device file will be supported by all OSS implementations and versions. o The special purpose audio default devices (such as /dev/dsp_mmap) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. o The legacy audio device files (such as /dev/dsp1) are supported by all OSS versions and implementations. o New style audio device files (under /dev/oss) are only supported by OSS 4.0 and later. However some independent OSS implementations may only support the legacy naming even they are otherwise OSS 4.0 compatible. o /dev/dsp0 doesn't exist in all Linux systems which use /dev/dsp for the same purpose. In such systems /dev/dsp points to the first audio device and /dev/dsp1 to the second. PROGRAMMING INFORMATION
See the Audio Programming section of the OSS Programmer's Guide (DSP(2)) for more info. OPTIONS
None FILES
o /dev/dsp Default audio device o /dev/dsp_mmap Default audio device for applications using mmap(2) o /dev/dsp_ac3 Default audio device for applications sending Dolby Digital (AC3) audio to an external receiver. o /dev/dsp_multich Default multichannel (4.0-7.1) audio output device o /dev/dsp_spdifout Default digital audio (S/PDIF) output device o /dev/oss/<driver>/pcmN Direct access device files for individual audio devices. o /dev/dsp0 to /dev/dspN Legacy style direct access audio device files. AUTHOR
4Front Technologies OSS Devices 7(16 December 2012)