Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: script for backup database
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script for backup database Post 302619913 by methyl on Friday 6th of April 2012 10:55:39 AM
Old 04-06-2012
Code:
5 * * * * \usr\bin\sh\mysqldump -h localhost -u username-ppassword cms> /home/dbbackup.sql.

Threre are several problems with this crontab line.
1) The \ characters should be / characters. This is unix not MSDOS.
2) There is a trailing . character which is not required (delete it).
3) The cron will execute at 5 minutes past the hour every hour 7/24. Hope this is intentional? It will not execute at 05:00.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MYSQL command to take a backup of the database in Redhat linux 7.2

I am new to mysql database , we have a mysql database running on linux , and we use mysql database for bugzilla, so we wanted to take a backup . what is the command for taking the entire database backup from the command prompt with all options. Thanks in advance Bache Gowda (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup of Product Database

HI, I know its scarey me asking this, but system is homegrown and I am just having fun, but at the same time dont want to have tooo much fun where the phrase "little knowledge is dangerous" perfectly fits my actions ;-). I have a couple of packages that are failing to be removed... #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Veritas DataBase Backup

hi , we have a monthly policy for database backups . the database is a huge one about 200 GB in size and every month , we shut down the database and take a full system backup . my question is : Is there a way to know that i have taken a valid backup, I need to do something like a test restore... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
5 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with Database backup

Hi! This is my first post and im not that familiar with UNIX but I'll try to explain my problem.. I have a server here at work running Open UNIX Release 8.0.0 It has a special application on it that I'm trying to run a database backup on. For the last 2 weeks this has failed.. Usually the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TaZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to backup a particular Database in MYSQL?

Hi All, Thanks in Advance!! How to backup a particular Databases..through Bash script!! For example i have 6 databases; Anish linux Software Questions Rhce Google these are the databases i have from that i want to take "Anish" and "questions" database backup regularly.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create database using Backup file

Hi, I have backup file of database in my server. I want to create a that database in the same Mysql Server. How can I do that? Please send the steps to create the database using backup file? Thanks a lot, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with database backup script

Hi, i am very new with linux shell script. my colleague gave a portion of this script, it backups all of your database and there is a option that selects a database that u do not want to include in your backup. what i want is the other way around, i want to select the databases that i only want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: makoyski
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with backup and copy a database

Hi, I have many servers distributed on my customer locations all servers has MYSQL database. I want to backup database for each server on server at my location using scheduler. So I create Shell script file to backup and copy the database file from customer server to my server as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amsbas
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cold Backup of Oracle database.

Hi i need a command to cut the last column from the location in a file and want write a gzip command like cat a.txt /data01/oracle/oradata/vas/data/system01.dbf /data01/oracle/oradata/vas/data/sysaux01.dbf /data01/oracle/oradata/vas/data/undotbs01.dbf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
3 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)